Beware of fake Airbnb websites scam

Yara13
Level 1
Lisbon, Portugal

Beware of fake Airbnb websites scam

I recently was almost about to book for a place and the host sent me a website that looks Really identical to the official Airbnb site ,  new users could be easily fooled by this as i almost was, i almost paid through this site since everyone says that its fine to book a place and avoid scams so long you book through the Airbnb website but no one ever mentioned of there being fake identical Airbnb websites that even if you book through the site you will still be scammed and not get a refund, i just wanted to make people aware of this so that they cannot be scammed and lose money through this method.

just beware of this site hopefully Airbnb can take this website down since its impersonating being a trademarked site.

[Link removed for safety reasons]

96 Replies 96

Yes! This does happen a lot, and I am very glad you caught on to the scam before they took your money.

Thank you for helping to raise awareness of this.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Yara13,

Thanks for sharing this and highlighting it to others. 

I am not sure if you are aware of this useful Help Center article on How do I know if an email is really from Airbnb, which provide more information on what to look out for. You can also send a message to our team to highlight them of any scam websites or link at  report.phishing@airbnb.com

Thank you again and I do hope you have found somewhere great to stay for your trip.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Harmeet2
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Omg that just happened to me too. I’m new user of Airbnb, I never used it before so I thought it was real. Please beware people!! 

This is the stupid  link the fake host Jose Luis Salcedo send me to use:

https://airbnb.com.listings-92926848.com/1/listing/15/view-af565mmb/V2tJk0Hy7w#lg=1&slide=1

Same guy sent me that link! Sadly I was stupid enough to send money through bitcoins with that link 

I just got stolen $1000 with same way!

@Aj82 wrote:

Same guy sent me that link! Sadly I was stupid enough to send money through bitcoins with that link 

Were you able to get your money back?

Same here got £1,500 stolen at 19yrs old, left me suicidal and homeless its not a joke air bnb, i contacted them about it and they claimed its nothing to do with them if a website impersonated them I really hope to get my money back somehow

C

Hy...could you get refund? Or its not like bank?!

How long ago was this? This is currently happening to me with that same name “Jose Luis Salcedo”, the offer was to good to be true so i’m researching about it and saw this!! 

Thank you for this!!! I was just emailing him about moving in to his unit when I decided to look up his name and found this. I appreciate you so much. 

Me too, Victoria! The posting definitely seemed too good to be true, so I was skeptical too - especially as the posting on apartment rental sites listed different people as managing the posting 🧐

I was just emailing the guy today and googled his name. Thank you for posting this.  I would have never known because the site is so good. I knew it was to good to be true in Detroit.  

Thank you so much I just got the same link from the same person.