Big Bear Lake 2017 New Regulation requirements for 24/7 agents check-in and response

Michael1178
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Big Bear Lake 2017 New Regulation requirements for 24/7 agents check-in and response

Big Bear Lake is in the process of implementing new requirements for people hosting short-term rentals.  These requirements are making it increasingly difficult and expensive for Hosts to continue to work through AirBnB...thus pushing them toward using the vacation rental companies.  I have tried to summarize what I think are the new key regulations and questions and concerns I have about them.  Wondering if anyone has ideas/hacks on how to comply with new regulations while still participating in AirBnB.   From my initial research, moving away from AirBnB will both reduce gross revenue (bookings) and obviouslhy increase costs due to management fees.  Thanx!

This is what I think are the (new) requirements for Big Bear short term rentals:

• Have a check-in agent (or Host) who is available 24/7 to meet people at the rental property. This person must pass a written test of their responsibilities and execute an affidavit acknowledging responsibilities and associated fines and live within 15 miles of Big Bear Lake.
  • Check-in now includes:
    • Verifying the number of people & cars does not exceed the limit
    • Verify person/credit card with who shows up (difficult on AirBnB since hosts do not know the last name of their guests)
    • Get copy of credit card receipt, and maybe a copy of their ID?
    • Have the renters sign a rental agreement contract
  • Hosts must have someone who can respond to problems 24/7 within an hour. This person must live within 15 miles of Big Bear, pass a written exam, and sign an affidavit accepting these responsibilities
  • Turn in individual contracts (with each renter) and credit card receipt/photo to Big Bear (maybe on a quarterly or semi-annual basis). I guess to prove your receipts and max tax collection
  • Prove we have snow removal service (not a big deal)
  • Have to have an annual re-inspection of rental properties…and you have to stop renting until your annual renewal is done. (not a big deal)

My questions/concerns:

• How to comply with verifying the ID of the person at check-in with who made the reservation. The problem is that Hosts never know the full names of their AirBnB guests (AirBnB removed last names a year ago to avoid host discrimination)
  • How to comply with collecting credit card charge info if using AirBnB since AirBnB processes the payments? Can hosts just provide our AirBnB transaction report which shows what day we collected $’s?  We can print out a report for each month, or any period we select.
  • How to comply with requirement to have them sign a rental agreement/contract, since that is really managed by AirBnB as our 3rd party “agent.” I guess we could come up with a contract, but not sure that is even cool with AirBnB
  • I do not necessarily even know the renter’s real name from AirBnB, AirBnB has that info. So, how do I verify who is really renting the house?

126 Replies 126

Good afternoon Matt,

My husband and I would love to get in touch with you. Is this the best forum? I'll see if there is a way to private message you.

Thanks!

To private message someone, click on the picture, go to profile and you will see send message option.

Hey Matt,

Trying to reach you. What’s the best way?

Thanks,

Anissa

Hi Siobhan -

Im new to AirBnb, I have a Vacation house in Big Bear, CA. and now Im also looking for a local property manager for key turnover, 24/7 emergency contact and to manage cleaning and laundry after each renter.  How can I reach you to learn about your services?

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Nancy. We live in Seattle and recently purchased a vacation home in Big Bear Lake to use as a short term rental when we aren't using the home. The property management fees are ridiculous! We are going to cancel our contract with our management company after the first 6 months is up. Not only do they take 30% of top, we don't see the additional pet fees, they don't clean the property as they should, yet we still get charged. We have cameras installed around the outside of the property that we can manage remotely, and no one from the management company ever meets the guests, nor do they verify headcount, cars, etc. Whenever there is a cancellation fee, we don't ever see a penny of it. The list goes on and on. Our Big Bear house has been consistently rented since December 2017, so IF we weren't paying so much out to the property management company, we would be making our mortgage and then some, for sure. We're looking for an option to utilize our rental property without the outrageous fees associated with the property management company.

Hi Deborah, 

That sounds terrible! I wonder if Airbnb would block the info if you share the info about who they are.  I just closed on a condo near Snow Summit, which I'll use as an investment property.  I went to the Airbnb link to hook up with co-hosts and got three responses from co-hosts whose services ranged from 10% to 25%. Each one had pros and cons. For now I went with the one co-host who actually has a mgmt business. She will charge me 15% for Airbnb rentals as I will do the communicating with guests and 25% of rentals that come in other ways. Her fees include supplies. (The other two charged extra for supplies or you could buy your own and leave in a locked closet). She offered to take in packages and deliveries for no charge and was located just a block and a half from my property. As I have to furnish the whole place and I live in Los Angeles deliveries of furniture, TV etc. were a big issue for me in getting started. I have not started renting yet (still painting and furnishing) so cannot make an assessment of her as a manager. It's a month-to-month agreement though and I had a second choice if this doesn't work. There is also a company called Vacasa that I hear is charging 17% but their reviews online weren't that great. If I were you I would try the Airbnb co-host route. A lot of them also seem to advertise on other sites too like VRBO.  I'm sorry you've had such problems but it's encouraging you've had so many bookings.

Best,

Nancy

Thank you Nancy! Your information is much appreciated! We are cancelling our contract this April when it expires, and I will absolutely share the details. They don't have great Yelp reviews, which we didn't realized until after the fact. Living in Seattle, we were a bit "blind" coming into this Big Bear vacation rental purchase. After this experience, we're hoping to be seasoned professionals! We have flown down 1-2 times per month since the purchase last October, to make sure we're there for appliance delivery, furniture, etc. We've completely refurnished the home, adding a beautiful new hot tub, alarm system, etc. We are truly looking for someone to be available to clean after renters, and greet them if need be, especially for emergencies. I will go to AirBnB and check it out. Thanks again!

Cheers~

Deborah

Hi deborah, how was your experience with the co-host? I am closing on a property in big bear and I am looking for somebody reasonable to help managing it

Hi Deborah, I am sorry to hear you are having a hard time with your property management company, but the truth is I was too so I started my own. Most of the large vacation rental companies in Big Bear are fighting to stay afloat with a majority of people turning to a much easier booking option like Airbnb. I decided to start my own vacation rental business to help other Airbnb host manage their property. 

[Personal advertising hidden - to use the Direct Messaging system here in the Community Center hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Hi Matt! I would love your contact information. Can you please send me a good phone #, email address, or website? It looks like your post was edited, and part of it hidden.  I would love to talk more, in detail.

Cheers~

Deborah

Hi Deborah, 

Can you share the name of the property management company? I had something between an airbnb co-host and a manager. The fee was not high but the service was not good either and now I'm looking again and torn between a high fee management company that pays for advertising or trying to get another co-host just to be the local meeter-and-greeter and emergency contact and hiring cleaning people directly. There are lots of people out there still doing no-host keypad entries but I don't want to risk the fines. Would love to know if the company you were using is anyone I'm considering and if you found anyone new that you like.

Thanks, 

Nancy

Nancy, reach out to me. I have a similar program to what you had with the other girl. I also opened an office space close to your condo. 🙂

Hi Matt,

Was wondering if you're still providing management services and if so what the details are.

Thanks!
Michelle

Hello

Hey Matt! Help! I'd like to know more as well.