Big Bear Lake 2017 New Regulation requirements for 24/7 agents check-in and response

Michael1178
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Big Bear Lake 2017 New Regulation requirements for 24/7 agents check-in and response

Big Bear Lake is in the process of implementing new requirements for people hosting short-term rentals.  These requirements are making it increasingly difficult and expensive for Hosts to continue to work through AirBnB...thus pushing them toward using the vacation rental companies.  I have tried to summarize what I think are the new key regulations and questions and concerns I have about them.  Wondering if anyone has ideas/hacks on how to comply with new regulations while still participating in AirBnB.   From my initial research, moving away from AirBnB will both reduce gross revenue (bookings) and obviouslhy increase costs due to management fees.  Thanx!

This is what I think are the (new) requirements for Big Bear short term rentals:

• Have a check-in agent (or Host) who is available 24/7 to meet people at the rental property. This person must pass a written test of their responsibilities and execute an affidavit acknowledging responsibilities and associated fines and live within 15 miles of Big Bear Lake.
  • Check-in now includes:
    • Verifying the number of people & cars does not exceed the limit
    • Verify person/credit card with who shows up (difficult on AirBnB since hosts do not know the last name of their guests)
    • Get copy of credit card receipt, and maybe a copy of their ID?
    • Have the renters sign a rental agreement contract
  • Hosts must have someone who can respond to problems 24/7 within an hour. This person must live within 15 miles of Big Bear, pass a written exam, and sign an affidavit accepting these responsibilities
  • Turn in individual contracts (with each renter) and credit card receipt/photo to Big Bear (maybe on a quarterly or semi-annual basis). I guess to prove your receipts and max tax collection
  • Prove we have snow removal service (not a big deal)
  • Have to have an annual re-inspection of rental properties…and you have to stop renting until your annual renewal is done. (not a big deal)

My questions/concerns:

• How to comply with verifying the ID of the person at check-in with who made the reservation. The problem is that Hosts never know the full names of their AirBnB guests (AirBnB removed last names a year ago to avoid host discrimination)
  • How to comply with collecting credit card charge info if using AirBnB since AirBnB processes the payments? Can hosts just provide our AirBnB transaction report which shows what day we collected $’s?  We can print out a report for each month, or any period we select.
  • How to comply with requirement to have them sign a rental agreement/contract, since that is really managed by AirBnB as our 3rd party “agent.” I guess we could come up with a contract, but not sure that is even cool with AirBnB
  • I do not necessarily even know the renter’s real name from AirBnB, AirBnB has that info. So, how do I verify who is really renting the house?

126 Replies 126

Hi Matt

If you still have the rental management company I have some questions I would like to ask. 
Thanks 

Hey! I am! DoorMat Vacation Rentals is my company you can find me online. 🙂

Fatiha

For your Cohosting needs.

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

@Matt291  do you mind if I reached out regarding big bear rentals. my number 714-400-6603

Hey @SueAnn4 yes! DoorMat Vacation Rentals is my company. 

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Hi @Matt291,  do you still manage listings in big Bear CA?

Hi @Carla181 yes! My company is DoorMat Vacation Rentals. I offer full management for 25% of the nightly rate for (Big Bear Lake, Big Bear City, Joshua Tree, Yucca Valley) and check-in only services for property in Big Bear Lake where it is required. It’s $25/check-in and the guest checks in at our office in lower moonridge across from the Zoo. 

Lavish Cabins

This company is the best. They will take care of all your needs stated and more. The best time of year to have help is during winter where you will deal with snow storms, pilot lights going out and people left with no heat, power outages, trash, snow removal, partiers, hot tub issues.... etc. Better to have someone there for you 24/7 and handle all issues than to try and run it yourself (sadly people learn the hard way). These are such common winter issues I cant even express it enough!

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

We bought an amazing house for $350,000 in Big Bear City and we had to turn it into a long-term rental. Airbnb reported 25% more vacation rentals in ONE year in 2017. It's almost impossible to turn a profit. We have another cabin that does great on Airbnb but the upkeep costs wipe all the profit away.

Ray212
Level 1
California, United States

Hi,

I purchased a Rental/Vacation home in 2015 and it has been a nightmare dealing with the City! Shame on those scoundrels who run the city as they are corrupt and money hungry! Their rules are FASCIST and insane to say the least. The management companies are in cahoots with the Nazis at city hall!!!  I am done with Big Bear Lake CORRUPTION, and it truly breaks my heart to give up on something I have poured my heart and soul into! I have taken so much pride in being an excellent host and ensuring my home was always sharp. These management companies take ZERO pride in their rentals and completely rape the homeowners in hidden fees. TOT Tax is completely over the line and how dare these audacious people infringe upon the rights of property owners! They do have a great alibi when justifying why TOT is needed and I am calling their BS because I lived it and I have spent a lot of time up on the mountain.  My home is now up for sale and I recommend not buying in this city/area with intention to run a "Transient Rental/Short-Term." You will grow white hairs just to break even and you will be lucky if you can sell it for a profit.  Good Luck and I told you so!

I understand your frustrations my friend. I have been hosting in Big Bear for 6 years and have 24 properties I manage now. I had to open an office up there to be able to operate the way the city wants. I have a few options for people like yourself that allow you to have managment without all the crazy extra fees. 

Most of the rental managment compaines do take zero pride but with 2000 reviews and me being a superhost I have incentive to provide guest and you with the best service possible. I also believe the big companies are in cahoots with the city and it is sad. Let me know if you are interested in any help?

Hey, Matt!

I am buying a house in big bear. Can you let me know how to contact you? 

Hi Matt,

Are you taking on any more properties as a co-host? I recently closed on a 3 bed 2 bath cabin in the Moonridge area and am looking for a superhost like yourself. Let me know if I can get in touch with you. Thanks!

Kent

HEY Kent,

Sorry for delay, I am not on this community forum too often. I know there is a private message feature that a lot of people message me through on here. IF you are still interested I would be happy to help. 

Matt

April301
Level 2
California, United States

I’d love to chat about an opportunity.