Big Bear Lake 2017 New Regulation requirements for 24/7 agents check-in and response

Michael1178
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Big Bear Lake 2017 New Regulation requirements for 24/7 agents check-in and response

Big Bear Lake is in the process of implementing new requirements for people hosting short-term rentals.  These requirements are making it increasingly difficult and expensive for Hosts to continue to work through AirBnB...thus pushing them toward using the vacation rental companies.  I have tried to summarize what I think are the new key regulations and questions and concerns I have about them.  Wondering if anyone has ideas/hacks on how to comply with new regulations while still participating in AirBnB.   From my initial research, moving away from AirBnB will both reduce gross revenue (bookings) and obviouslhy increase costs due to management fees.  Thanx!

This is what I think are the (new) requirements for Big Bear short term rentals:

• Have a check-in agent (or Host) who is available 24/7 to meet people at the rental property. This person must pass a written test of their responsibilities and execute an affidavit acknowledging responsibilities and associated fines and live within 15 miles of Big Bear Lake.
  • Check-in now includes:
    • Verifying the number of people & cars does not exceed the limit
    • Verify person/credit card with who shows up (difficult on AirBnB since hosts do not know the last name of their guests)
    • Get copy of credit card receipt, and maybe a copy of their ID?
    • Have the renters sign a rental agreement contract
  • Hosts must have someone who can respond to problems 24/7 within an hour. This person must live within 15 miles of Big Bear, pass a written exam, and sign an affidavit accepting these responsibilities
  • Turn in individual contracts (with each renter) and credit card receipt/photo to Big Bear (maybe on a quarterly or semi-annual basis). I guess to prove your receipts and max tax collection
  • Prove we have snow removal service (not a big deal)
  • Have to have an annual re-inspection of rental properties…and you have to stop renting until your annual renewal is done. (not a big deal)

My questions/concerns:

• How to comply with verifying the ID of the person at check-in with who made the reservation. The problem is that Hosts never know the full names of their AirBnB guests (AirBnB removed last names a year ago to avoid host discrimination)
  • How to comply with collecting credit card charge info if using AirBnB since AirBnB processes the payments? Can hosts just provide our AirBnB transaction report which shows what day we collected $’s?  We can print out a report for each month, or any period we select.
  • How to comply with requirement to have them sign a rental agreement/contract, since that is really managed by AirBnB as our 3rd party “agent.” I guess we could come up with a contract, but not sure that is even cool with AirBnB
  • I do not necessarily even know the renter’s real name from AirBnB, AirBnB has that info. So, how do I verify who is really renting the house?

126 Replies 126
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello, @Michael1178.  You are smart to try to get ahead of the regulations that your city is imposing.  One option I exercised a year ago was to start the La Quinta Home Sharing Club with help from Air BNB.  I was aware that many cities around me, e.g., Palm Springs, was becoming more and more anti short term rentals.  On this site under Discuss, you will find how to contact Air BNB for asssitance with setting up such a group.

As to your issue about not knowing your guest last name, you do find the full name of the booking guest once the reservation is confirmed and I always ask the the booking guest provide me with the full names of all others in the party.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

This is Big Bear Disposal, Inc. Can you pls pass along to other Big Bear Lake hosts ( if possible ) that if any guests are staying in the following areas, they must place the trash in a trash can at the residence and NOT be directed to a clean bear site within the city of Big Bear Lake as these city clean bear sites are supported by City Of Big Bear Lake taxes ( within city limits ), and not county taxes.visitors to Clean Bear sites are now being screened and will be refused if coming from any of the above locations.  

The effected areas are :

Fawnskin, Northshore, Big Bear City, Baldwin Lake, Sugarloaf and Lake Williams.

Please pass along this information to the other hosts/owners so they can update their house policies regarding this.

Thank You,

Terry **

Big Bear Dispoal, Inc.

As a permanent resident here, your comment is especially relevant. Still in 2020, we see trash left either uncollected or just left in over-flowing trash cans.

The Renters' agents claim we exaggerate. We do not. We've only lived up here for two years.

Nancy353
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hi Michael, 

I have more questions for you than answers. I am a host in Los Angeles and went house hunting in Big Bear Lake and Big Bear City a couple of weeks ago. I'm doing so well with my bedroom and bath in LA, I wanted to do a whole-house Airbnb in a location with a lot of vacationers. The realtor told me there was no way rentals would cover the whole mortgage and my would-be partner got discouraged. I wondered if he was basing the prediciton on people who are only renting part time and paying 27% off the top to a management company. I hoped I could do better renting full time on Airbnb with the help of a local cohost to oversee cleaning etc. I can't make contact with potential cohosts through Airbnb till after I buy, it looks like, because I would need a property address to make contact with one.

Can you tell me if you're able to cover your mortgage, taxes and insurance with Airbnb rentals or is yours really a vacation home and you're looking to defray the cost? I'm thinking a cohost could help you (me) comply with Big Bear Lake's new rules. And can you tell me if these ordinances apply to just Big Bear Lake or also to Big Bear City?

Hi

I have  been a registered licienced business in Big Bear for over 10 years.  I manage it myself with a housekeeping service in Big Bear.  The costs are going up at an alarming rate but the rental prices are stagnant due to the large number of short term properties on the market.  Some  of the recurring costs we have are internet service, cable (stripped down), spa service, snow plow, housekeeping , gas, electricity, water along with repairs, 11% tot tax and uncle Sams cut its tough to break even.  If you look at appreciation and equity as well as the tax right offs it may look better on paper.  We are looking to do a long term rental situation as it's just not profitable enough to warrant the headaches.

The new rules and regulations are tough to follow as guests frequently arrive late in the evening so in person check in is hard.  I typically have followed the requirements thus far but they change annually. 

Looking for solutions

All the best

Siobhan

Hi Siobhan -

We are looking for a local property manager to do key turnover, 24/7 emergency contact and to manage cleaning and laundry after each renter.  Our property is at Summit Mountain.  How can I reach you to learn about your services?

Thanks,

Linda

[Personal advertising hidden]

Airbnb will block any information I give you. Can you private message me through here? I will be happy to help you. 

Hi Matt,

Could you please reply to me? I need check in agent. Thanks!

I am a check in agent

909 283 8624

Hi Matt, 

I am looking for a rental management company and would like further info if you are Available.

I am purchasing a lil cabin in Sugarloaf and I’m trying to get all my ducks in order so I can rent it out. 

Hi Matt, 

I am looking for a cohost in big bear. Anyway we could connect please. Trying to find a way to message you through the Airbnb app. 

Sure Crystal,  best way is to go to top right of this window and find the mail icon. Click on that mail icon then, "new message" and type Matt291 in the person you want to send to section. Wait for it to load my image and send me the message. 🙂

Best,
Matt

DoorMat Vacation Rentals

Matt291

Can you send me your contact number to call you? Thanks. Tracy