Bloody sheets and mattress cover and pillow cases and duvet covers

Answered!
Susan378
Level 3
Icking, Germany

Bloody sheets and mattress cover and pillow cases and duvet covers

Hello community, 

i just hosted a nice couple for the 3rd time, for a week this summer. They like to come every summer and we are happy to have them for the most part. Last summer when they left, my sheets were pretty stained with blood and I was not sure what else, but I was able to get the stains out. I said nothing because it’s just an uncomfortable thing to have to go there. 

I had learned durning this rental that the woman has pretty severe eczema and is covered in lesions. When they left this morning there was blood everywhere on my sheet. Everywhere Tried everything but this year could not get the sheet clean. More problematic is the blood on my duvet cover which I can’t bleach and pre-treatment has so far not worked. 

I’m a big dummy who does  not ask for a deposit. I cannot imagine a world where I would bleed on someone’s sheets because of a known skin problem and not mention it....or wear pajamas! Or bring my own sheet! 

I would  like to hear opinions on this. I had someone poop the bed last year and she gave me money to replace the sheet. Do I ask for some payment here? To replace duvet covers and a sheet will cost me more than my daily rent. Ugh. Help. Thank you. 

1 Best Answer

Hello @Susan378 

So sorry for this, you can the resolution center and request the money from the guest.

The Resolution Center lets you request or send money for things related to your Airbnb trip. To open a refund or payment request.

Asking for help from Airbnb

If you’re unable to reach an agreement, you can ask Airbnb to make the final decision 72 hours after the request was opened. To involve Airbnb:

1. Wait 72 hours after you open the request
  2. Go to www.airbnb.com/resolutions
  3. Select the correct reservation
  4. Click Involve Airbnb

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Have a great summer and good luck, @Susan378 

Ramona 

View Best Answer in original post

31 Replies 31

Hello @Susan378 

So sorry for this, you can the resolution center and request the money from the guest.

The Resolution Center lets you request or send money for things related to your Airbnb trip. To open a refund or payment request.

Asking for help from Airbnb

If you’re unable to reach an agreement, you can ask Airbnb to make the final decision 72 hours after the request was opened. To involve Airbnb:

1. Wait 72 hours after you open the request
  2. Go to www.airbnb.com/resolutions
  3. Select the correct reservation
  4. Click Involve Airbnb

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Have a great summer and good luck, @Susan378 

Ramona 

Thank you. 

Peter893
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

Make sure you go to the Resolution Center AFTER the guest review as going there earlier will guaranty you a retaliatory review.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Susan378 

Have you taken photos of it before you tried to clean it?
You may like to reach out via msg system & mention to to the Guest that whilst you understand the guest may have a Medical matter, that you have tried to clean the linen without success & would they please be open to discussion to contribute to the cost of replacement ones.

All the best

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Susan378 I will always try a soft approach in that case especially when they have been regulars guests. As @Helen427  mentioned i would contact them and explain and if she is honest and sensible person she will offer a payment for the damage and after only u can submit to resolution centre.

David4245
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Similar happenings, but I have taken precautions for things like this like complete water proof liners on all the beds including the sleeper sofa. These are the risks we take when we open our homes to people we don't know. We keep extra sheets with the thought that this could happen and our losses will be minimal, but we also have some down comforters that we NEVER expected would get blood on them but they did. Lucky for us, they came out at the cleaners and our losses where minimal. You have to factor in losses like this to be covered in your pricing. Its not easy, but with some experience you will get it. But foremost, have water proof liners under your sheets. Very important!

Susan378
Level 3
Icking, Germany

Thanks all! I wrote the guest an email and conveyed my empathy. I hoped she would offer to cover the cost but no. Sigh. She said she was sorry and sent instructions on how she goes about getting the blood out of her sheets! I had told her my sheet had to be thrown away and she agreed to bring their own in the future. 

I have favorably reviewed them twice and they reviewed us this time before I sent her the note. Do I or do I not do a 3rd review and mention this problem? I have been procrastinating. Thanks so much. 

Sheets that need replacing are just a part of being a host, I would never ask a guest to pay for them.  Price your room so that you have money to put aside for the times when you do run into this. I would also never mention this in a review....things happen and it comes with the territory. You sound as though you'd host them again and that this is only one item that is an issue and it's solved for the next time. Let it go. 

I agree replacing sheets is indeed part of the operating cost.  If someone has an accident or makes a small stain obviously you have to just go get a set of new sheets.

But would you bleed over someones sheets, not mention it, refuse to contribute to the cost, and then want to go back to that place?

I've seen lots of posts here about women who have had menstrual accidents in hosts bedding, sometimes quite severe, and then act as if it's normal not to pay for blood saturated ruined sheets?

In this case, these are repeat guests, I think @Susan378 has several choices:  (1) don't have these people back (2) have them back but increase their price or add extra linen charge next year to pay for the sheets (3) have them back and put cheap sheets and mattress covers when they come back ....

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Dear @Susan378 

I would definitely review her with a nice comment as she is a regular guest. 

Good luck!

Kira♡

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

Hi @Kira32 I think this avoids the issue of potentially warning other hosts that there may be a problem. I wouldn't want to particularly host someone where this seems very like to happen. Odd accidents do happen but if this person has this every time then I think other hosts should be aware.

Susan378
Level 3
Icking, Germany

Kira32 would you mention the skin/sheet problem at all? I’m sure I can find a kind way but I’m so uncomfortable with this situation. Also, I had an Airbnb experience where I was the guest  a few years ago,  where I now believe there was only 1 honest review in a sea of reviewers who were trying to be kind but held back the facts.....

I had this happen too and ended up in a dump that had no resemblance to the photos. Created a huge problem. 

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Susan378 Please mention in the review that she always leaves blood on the sheets due to a skin problem.  Hosts can then choose to either decline her, or put old sheets on the bed, or ask her to bring her own.  I don't want my new sheets ruined!