Bloody sheets and mattress cover and pillow cases and duvet covers

Answered!
Susan378
Level 3
Icking, Germany

Bloody sheets and mattress cover and pillow cases and duvet covers

Hello community, 

i just hosted a nice couple for the 3rd time, for a week this summer. They like to come every summer and we are happy to have them for the most part. Last summer when they left, my sheets were pretty stained with blood and I was not sure what else, but I was able to get the stains out. I said nothing because it’s just an uncomfortable thing to have to go there. 

I had learned durning this rental that the woman has pretty severe eczema and is covered in lesions. When they left this morning there was blood everywhere on my sheet. Everywhere Tried everything but this year could not get the sheet clean. More problematic is the blood on my duvet cover which I can’t bleach and pre-treatment has so far not worked. 

I’m a big dummy who does  not ask for a deposit. I cannot imagine a world where I would bleed on someone’s sheets because of a known skin problem and not mention it....or wear pajamas! Or bring my own sheet! 

I would  like to hear opinions on this. I had someone poop the bed last year and she gave me money to replace the sheet. Do I ask for some payment here? To replace duvet covers and a sheet will cost me more than my daily rent. Ugh. Help. Thank you. 

1 Best Answer

Hello @Susan378 

So sorry for this, you can the resolution center and request the money from the guest.

The Resolution Center lets you request or send money for things related to your Airbnb trip. To open a refund or payment request.

Asking for help from Airbnb

If you’re unable to reach an agreement, you can ask Airbnb to make the final decision 72 hours after the request was opened. To involve Airbnb:

1. Wait 72 hours after you open the request
  2. Go to www.airbnb.com/resolutions
  3. Select the correct reservation
  4. Click Involve Airbnb

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Have a great summer and good luck, @Susan378 

Ramona 

View Best Answer in original post

31 Replies 31

@Helen56 wrote:

@Susan378 Please mention in the review that she always leaves blood on the sheets due to a skin problem

Oh my goodness, I understand there should be a mention of the problem but that just seems way too intimate to me!  And I bet she could get it removed, you are talking about this person's personal health!

Better word it more discreetly and in general and tactful terms, such as, "we were disappointed when this guest refused to contribute to damage that was made to the linens".

That would be enough for me I don't have to know any more.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Helen56 I am not sure if u disclosed any heath issue Airbnb won't take down the review resulting in no review at all. 

Julie-and-Tom0
Level 2
Hillsboro, OR

Susan...I have been researching the "bloody sheet" issue extensively. It is a divided community, indeed. In the end, it is a matter of preference on the host's choice as to how to address the issue. Many say "let it go". And, from conversations I have read, while that camp vehemently criticizes the other...I cannot "let it go" and expect I may be verbally flogged for what I am about to share. C'est la vie! We each have liberty here. The most inspiring dialogue I read in another string made the point that blood is a biohazard and should be treated as such. This is the advice received directly from the Airbnb rep.  I have had some pretty messy sheets and after extensive efforts to remove the stains I had to throw the sheets out (and yes, I used all the recommended methods: cold water, Oxyclean, etc. etc. etc)  My husband said I never should have touched them at all. Unfortunately I did not have a security deposit in place and chalked it up to an expense and the hazards of the industry. I have since added a security deposit ($250) and I now respectfully mention it in my house manual and my welcome message as such: 

"PLEASE NOTE: If anything breaks, spills, stains please let us know. Substantial damage to property or linens that are stained beyond repair (ie: blood stains which are a biohazard) will be charged against the security deposit (as described on your booking receipt). In such a case we will respectfully notify you. Thank you for understanding."

Then...if an "irreparable" stain comes into play, one host addresses the guest this way:

"Hi, thanks again for staying with us! It looks like there are some stains on the sheets and for everyone's health & safety, stained sheets need to be disposed of. Luckily, Airbnb's security deposit system makes it easy to add the replacement cost to your booking after we provide documentation. We've had this happen a few times, and guests are always gracious in handling it. If you'll approve the security deposit charges when we submit them, we'll be all set. Thanks again and all the best!

Also...I would never mention this in a review unless I was met with disrespect and lack of accountability on the guest's side. Then I think we owe it to the Airbnb community to leave a tactful review such as: "We would caution future hosts, as this guest refused to reimburse us for sheets that were ruined, after agreeing at the time of booking to approve documented charges for damage to our security deposit."

Now, I understand with your situation you do not yet have a security deposit in force. I would urge you to do so. It is only a "hold"....not an actual charge unless a claim is opened. Anywho...like you, before I had the security deposit in place, I expressed gently and respectfully to the guests that after extensive efforts to clean the sheets they had to be disposed of and replaced. And (sigh) they do not offer to reimburse and I don't feel comfortable asking because I had no such "house rule" indicated. But it seems such a no-brainer, out of respect, that one would graciously be accountable. But no. So...get your security deposit in place! And I think for your particular current incident you could leave a review similar to the one I quoted above, respectfully tailored to your situation. Be sure to preface it with the positives, though. Happy Hosting!

All that is a good idea.

However don't feel any false security - just because you have a damage deposit does not mean you're going to get any reimbursement.  Airbnb is in the middle and they will decide if something is withheld.

You will have to give proof and also they will ask you "how old were the sheets".  So for example if new sheets are 50 dollars and your sheets are 2 years old you might get' 10 dollars back, and a bad review from the guest.

In addition, many guests will not thing it's normal  to have to pay for damage to the linens no matter how big you write it in your house rules and contract.

I've been doing everything you noted above since the beginning but it doesn't always mean that the guest will take responsibility and pay for his damage AND leave a reasonable honest review to boot!

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

BTW here's an article on cleaning blood stained sheets. https://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-get-blood-out-of-sheets.htm  I think this article is about cleaning colored sheets.

They recommend enzyme cleaners. https://bestreviews.com/best-enzymatic-cleaners

I use white sheets. I've read that bleach will NOT do the trick for cleaning blood.

Another article https://www.aftermath.com/content/removing-dried-blood-from-fabric/

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Ugh, just had this happen.  The guests somehow got the blood not only on the sheet, but on a decorative pillow and the very expensive brand new quilt!  Thank goodness they left early and were only a 2 day stay.  Yikes.

Susan378
Level 3
Icking, Germany

I did the following: I told the truth in the review in as kind a way as I could formulate and suggested future hosts ask these guests about bringing their own sheets. 

Then I wrote to my renter and told her that I had noticed the problem last year but was able to get my sheets clean, but this year there was so much blood that I had to throw away the sheet. I also mentioned that I had to work on duvet covers and mattress pads but was able to get those clean. (It was my birthday, pretty lame day!). 

I was HOPING she would volunteer to replace the sheet but no luck. I told her they are welcome to come back but need to bring their own linens and she said ok to this 🤷‍♀️

Then she gave me washing instructions which totally ticked me off. Sigh. 

Claire1000
Level 2
New York, NY

I have made a product that really helps guests protect your sheets. I offer it to my guests - you can offer it to yours. You can even lift the verbiage, if you like. 

As an air bnb guest, I found myself occasionally needing something to protect the sheets of the lovely places I was renting. As an air bnb host, I found myself wanting to provide something my guests could use that would protect my sheets. In an answer to all that, I created The Layer. It is a magical piece of fabric that is soft and comfortable and shields the sheets from all sorts of sexy messes. So, should you find yourself in need, you will find The Layer - sealed in an eco-friendly plastic wrap - available for you to use and take with you to use over and over and over again (it withstands 300+ washings). And if you do, we will then charge your account $55. It’s far less expensive than replacing a set of sheets, mattress cover, towels - and saves everyone inconvenience and embarrassment. You can find The Layer in the master bedroom in the wicker basket.

A discrete little velcro clutch is available for purchase, for carrying The Layer to and fro. Please visit https://getthelayer.com for more information. 

Linda-And-Greg0
Level 3
Castro Valley, CA

Our last guest was ill when he arrived. He left a bloody mess in the bathroom and blood on the bedspread.  We know to treat that as a biohazard and the wording of messages in this thread has helped with our communication.  We have requested replacement cost for the bedspread and do have a security deposit.  Since our space is a travel trailer, it takes more careful cleaning to make sure items aren't ruined.  I've updated our House Rules to include some of the excellent info from all of you.  

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Susan378 @David3267 @Linda-And-Greg0 @Claire1000 @Susan1188 

Blood in any shape or form can be a sensitive issue as one never can tell what a persons circumstances are.

When I hosted English Language School students I observed Japanese females tend to use a towel on the sheet in the middle of the bed for any possible menstrual incidents - perhaps have a spare towel available in the bedroom & point it out professionally & sensitively when doing introductory home tour, and/ or include in your Listing somewhere.

It's a fact of life women/ females menstruate.

BE AWARE, GRAPHIC DETAILS -

Having recently had a tumble, tripped on edge of concrete & landed with the palm of my hand on the edge of it splitting it open with a deep gash, I learnt first hand how much blood loss can occur from such accidents.

Whilst I have had it subsequently stitched and on the road to recovery, there was still bleeding and bodily substances seeping through swabs/ bandages onto linen.

One never knows what a person may be going through despite on outward appearances are quite normal.

The reality is, we are all human & like to be treated with respect & dignity.

All the best

This conversation isn't about respect - that's a given as Airbnb hosts and not in question. This is about how to handle biohazards - blood is one. The guest I referenced confirmed that he was ill when he arrived. We discovered signs of illness in the bathroom and on the bedding.  That means we are required to treat the cleaning as such. We default to Norovirus cleaning protocol when we don't know if it's not (Center for Disease Control in the U.S.) and blood - since there are known pathogens in blood - requires a specific cleaning protocol. It's about safety and good business practices for us as hosts and guest who follow.

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

As a host I would really appreciate other hosts honestly reviewing their guests especially when it come to bloody sheets, feces, vomit etc then I have a heads up before accepting or declining that guest for future visits.

I concur and we don't really have a platform for this, do we?  Perhaps a hosts-only section?  We suspect that our recent guest has missing reviews for his stays.  The one present had clues that I didn't catch.  I don't see my review posted so I'm assuming his workaround is to not post his own reviews.  He's also not responding to my request for security deposit $ to replace bedding.

@Linda-And-Greg0 If your guest doesn't submit a review of his stay your review of him will show up when the review period is over (14 days after check-out). The review system is blind otherwise you wouldn't be able to write an honest review. Your review will get published 1) the second your guest submits his or 2) when the review period is over. If you ask your guest for extra money or in any way let the guest know that you might leave him a bad review it will most likely end out in a revenge review from the guest. It is problematic and also the reason why many hosts won't ask for money unless we are talking damage for a lot of money.

Best, Sandra 

Got it and thanks. I've decided to not default to fear of a bad retaliation review. I always answer those.  Better to honor my integrity than to worry about what Airbnb thinks.  Airbnb also doesn't want my bad review on Social 😄