Booked deposit taken then host increased price

Katherine684
Level 1
Ledburn, United Kingdom

Booked deposit taken then host increased price

Hi 

we booked a place in France for aug 2022. She accepted and took the deposit then a few days later she said she didn’t realise it was for 2022 and the price for that year would be an extra £500+. Can she do that and if I don’t accept she could cancel my booking? 
thanks 

3 Replies 3
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Katherine684Definitely not ethical behaviour on the part of your host. It's up to her to have her pricing and availability accurate on her calendar. 

Did you instant book, or did you send a booking request that she accepted? If it's instant book, it's a lot easier for her to cancel: she can just say she's not comfortable with the reservation and get a penalty-free cancellation. If you sent a request and she accepted, it's certainly much more difficult. If she cancels, she will get a financial penalty and also have the dates permanently blocked on her calendar, so there's a disincentive for her to do that (although if she has listed her property on other sites, she may just rent there). 

Regardless, do not cancel on her behalf. If she isn't happy with the reservation, it's not up to you to deal with it. You're also not required to pay the higher price because her calendar was wrong.

@Katherine684 

I am going to reply to every convo I can find regarding these hostage price increases.  This just happened to me. 

This just happened to me.  I reserved a weekend, it was accepted. Then I go to look over my booking and month later the price was jacked up $150.  It would cost me far more to cancel and I am so so mad.  I contacted Airbnb by phone and told them.  They said I was in no way required to accept the increase.  However they cannot guarantee that the "host" wont cancel my reservation.  I told them that I am being held hostage because to rebook at this late date will cost me hundreds more, and to cancel a trip where I booked a four day weekend of diving will cost me over a thousand.  

I will pay the $150 if I have to.  But I wont be using airbnb again if it comes to that. 

Bonjour @Katherine684 

Hosts are responsible of their calendar and their price.

If he did a mistake, it is his silly fault.
In France, it is illegal to change the price after booking (except if both parties agree on it).

So if i was you, i would reply :

"i am quite upset you now want to change the price.
Hosts are responsible of the accuracy of the listing.
It is your job to adequatly manage your calendar and prices.
Therefore, i refuse your request.

Please confirm that you will welcome us at the conditions set in your listing"

What next ?

- the host does not do anything and he will host you at the price you booked.
- The host cancel the reservation and his calendar will be definitly blocked for these dates and he won't be able to rebook them with Airbnb + penalty fee + loose of super host status for 1 year.

Let him stew a while, see what bubbles up.

It is for 2022. Plenty of time.

If he ask you to cancel, say NO. It is his responsability.

If you prefer to cancel on host behalf because you don't trust any longer this host, Airbnb will stand with you if conversation is done through Airbnb emails.

Please let us know.