Booked room for one, host wants me to change to two

Answered!
Valentin9
Level 2
Pontault-Combault, France

Booked room for one, host wants me to change to two

Hello,

I've made an instant booking on a room for one guest, but then the host contacted me and asked to change the reservation to two persons, and in so paying additionnal fees (~150$ more)  because he described it at available if there is a least two guests. And if I'm not willing to pay the extra fee, it's up to me to cancel the reservation and thus lose 50% of the payement made, because the host won't cancel.

Whose in fault here ? I'm not that familiar with Airbnb so maybe I've made a mistake. But if the process allowed me to make a booking for one guest, then why should I modify the reservation and pay for two despite being alone ? I didnt seem to find an answer for my situation in the help center, so that's why I'm posting here. Anyone can help me clarify the situation ?

Thanks for you help.

1 Best Answer

@Valentin9 Under no circumstances should you cancel, except for using the My Host Needs to Cancel option as you would be subject to the host's cancellation policy and not be refunded the Airbnb service fee. 

I have never heard of a listing having a minimum number of guests.  Many listings have maximum number of guests, say up to 4, but that doesn't mean that 1 guest cannot reserve for 1. 

I do see that the host has stated 2 persons, but I don't think that is binding. What is bindng is that your reservation has been confirmed and the host has to accommodate you at the price reserved or cancel.  

If you want to double check directly with Airbnb, I would advise that you contact them through twitter @airbnbhelp.  They respond rather quickly.   Click on the link below to see other options for contacting Airbnb. 

Please let me know what the resolution to this is.  Thanks!  Clare

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Valentin9 That doesn't sound right.  Could you provide the link to the listing?  it should look like this:  www.airbnb.com/rooms/xxxxxx where the the x's are numbers.  I'll take a look. 

Meantime, if this host cannot or won't accomodate you, you can cancel and receive a full refund by clicking on cancel on your reservation and selecting the option "My Host needs to Cancel".  Airbnb will send this message to the host and then they will have to decide whether they can accommodate you or not. 

Waitng for your reply!  Clare

Valentin9
Level 2

Hello Clare,

The listing is here : https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/11486092

I know about the "my Host needs to Cancel" option, thing is the host doesnt want to get any penalties for cancelling, so I've figured if I launch that procedure and the host doesnt accept it, I could lost half of my money (the terms of cancelation are set to strict)

@Valentin9 Under no circumstances should you cancel, except for using the My Host Needs to Cancel option as you would be subject to the host's cancellation policy and not be refunded the Airbnb service fee. 

I have never heard of a listing having a minimum number of guests.  Many listings have maximum number of guests, say up to 4, but that doesn't mean that 1 guest cannot reserve for 1. 

I do see that the host has stated 2 persons, but I don't think that is binding. What is bindng is that your reservation has been confirmed and the host has to accommodate you at the price reserved or cancel.  

If you want to double check directly with Airbnb, I would advise that you contact them through twitter @airbnbhelp.  They respond rather quickly.   Click on the link below to see other options for contacting Airbnb. 

Please let me know what the resolution to this is.  Thanks!  Clare

Valentin9
Level 2

Thank you for your time Clare, I also got a reply from the "Airbnb Community Experts", and their answer is the same as yours.

I will "triple" check with AirBnb twitter just in case.

Thank you for your time and quick response !

@Valentin9 Yeah, this host needs to learn how to price their property.  Can't list a price for 1 then ask to be paid for 2.  I have an Entire Home listing which accommodates 4 and is priced for 4.  If one person wants to book for themselves, that's fine with me! The price is the same for 1, 2, 3, or 4.  Of course, I could offer a discount for 1 if I wanted to.  

Cheers!

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

Based on the information you have presented, you appear to be in the right. Let the host cancel if he is not happy.

I have been a host almost five years. Airbnb the corporation wants their service to be all about connections between hosts and travelers (watch any of their marketing materials); but software features airbnb heavily promotes, like Instant Booking and Smart Pricing, are pushing the business model in the other direction, towards a travel commodity (think Orbitz or Trivago). More airbnb travelers are looking for a decent, easy place to stay at a cheap price. More hosts are looking to make some quick, easy cash.

The end point of this transition is not a bad thing. Airbnb will become ubiquitous and things will settle down. There is room for everyone. Travelers who are looking for a connection will still find it, travelers just looking for a cheap and easy accomodation will find that too. Hosts will join to fill everyones needs. The software/corporation will evolve to meet the full range of desires, expectations and experiences for both travelers and hosts; connecting the right traveler with the right host ... we hope. The next couple of years may be a bumpy ride, hold onto your hats!