Booking Request Help While Airbnb Holds Calendar Hostage

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Booking Request Help While Airbnb Holds Calendar Hostage

I have the Instant Book settings turned on for my listing.  During the night last night, (2:00AM), I noticed that my calendar was blocked off and a guest who did NOT meet any of my Instant Booking criteria was sent an automated email from me confirming his reservation.  I was fairly alarmed as this person had just signed up for Airbnb in January 2021, had not verified their identified, and of course, had no reviews from other hosts as my settings require in order to instant book.  I'm still very confused as to how and/or why my automated software sent him a confirmation email.  This hasn't ever (inaccurately), happened before.

I'm so very confused right now.  The CS I am on the phone with says that every time I am sent a booking request, it automatically blocks those dates on my calendar. Okay,--but, my question that I cannot seem to get answered, is HOW was this potential guest, who did not meet any of my Instant Booking criteria, able to tentatively "book" my place and block my calendar?  I was very frustrated as for 13 hours, I could not approve or decline the reservation.  The only button I had was a "Message" button.  I was just "told" by Airbnb that the dates would be held.  (See screenshot below.). Finally at 3 PM this afternoon, I was sent a "booking request" with a button asking me to approve or decline.  

Has anyone else ever had this happen?  If so, am I doing something wrong with my settings?  

I had no way to accept or decline this booking request for 13 hours.I had no way to accept or decline this booking request for 13 hours.

Julieanna
14 Replies 14
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Julieanna0 

This is a known issue, as  Airbnb allows guests to sent a booking request, while still some verification need to be done. As a host you can sent the guest a message asking to retract the booking request, to free the blocked calender dates. Airbnb should only allow fully verified guests to make a booking request (Or book instantly) .

I do understand some hosts don't require their guests to be ID verified, however, I do.  I wish I would have thought to ask the guest to retract their request.  Instead, I have now accepted, and sort of feel "bullied" into doing so.  I am so very unhappy with Airbnb.  They discovered they are reading my UNpublished reviews  and notes and sending me emails regarding them, while refusing to resolve an open case since December.  I wish so much that there was another platform that had the search results of Airbnb for someone like me with just a guest suite.  

I've now listed my guest suite on another platform which doesn't have near the search results that Airbnb does. However, I'm almost at the point where I'm ready to quit hosting which is really sad because I genuinely enjoy it.  I just hate the constant deceit and dishonesty that Airbnb displays along with an appalling lack of any type of customer service.

As I have just confirmed this evening, once a guest momentarily verifies their ID, (and I mean momentarily),  20 seconds later, they can go back and change their photo to Donald Duck and their location to Disney Land.  I never realized just how pointless the ID verification process was until tonight.  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1237/how-does-it-work-when-airbnb-verifies-your-identity 

They are reading every UNpublished private note that I have within their platform, yet will not protect a host with ensuring that a guest's front-end verification actually matches the back-end information.  This seems crazy to me!

Julieanna

@Julieanna0  We have the exact same situation, except that it changed to "guest withdrawn".  Just wait and see after about 10 hours or so, it might change status like ours.  Refer to our posting above.  WHAT IS GOING ON AIRBNB???

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Julieanna0  Do you mind telling us more about support reading unpublished notes or reviews?  That sounds unconscionable!

@Ann72 Yes!  I received an email from Airbnb regarding an UNpublished review.  As the guests that had stayed with me had not left town, (they had asked for a 10 day super, super cheap rate that I just couldn't swing as I pay taxes on all of my earnings), I didn't want to send them private feedback or post their review.  Indeed, I had sent these guests a link to a person that lives very close to me who does NOT have a license and doesn't pay taxes as an option due to certain circumstances.  I was absolutely FLABBERGASTED to see the following email in my inbox the next day after composing a draft and saving it.  Indeed, I did not send any private feedback or post a review until at least a week later!  

I had NOT posted the review for this guest, and indeed did not post it or send any private feedback until  at least ONE WEEK later!!I had NOT posted the review for this guest, and indeed did not post it or send any private feedback until at least ONE WEEK later!!

Julieanna

@Julieanna0  I’m stunned!  This is a real problem.  While I’m quite sure the terms of service lay ownership claim to exchanges between hosts and guests, I doubt they can do so to email drafts and notes not sent.  On top of this overreach you have the many instances of no answers to hosts on legitimate and direct queries.

Thank you for sharing this and letting other hosts know.

@Ann72 I As you mention, I'm sure what you say is 100% legally accurate re ownership claim to exchanges between hosts and guests.  Apparently, it applies to notes not sent as well.  

Technically speaking, it says "These notes won't be shown to guests."  However, apparently they have extra people in the CS department now who have nothing better to do than read through these notes and unsent/saved messages.  

I truly find this hard to believe as their CS department continues to be nothing short of appalling and, as you mention, there continues to be no answers to hosts who have been begging for answers re legitimate and direct queries.  In my own case, I find that if it has to do with Airbnb paying out money, their CS department is on vacation; permanently.  So, perhaps that explains why they have an over-abundance of CS reps able to read all communications, (even supposedly private notes!), now?  

So, technically speaking, it doesn't say that Airbnb won't read all of your notes!So, technically speaking, it doesn't say that Airbnb won't read all of your notes!

Julieanna

@Ann72 Here is the screen shot of the email they sent after reading my (saved) notes and text conversations between a guest that stayed with me last month who damaged blinds.  I had told my guest I would let her know if there were any charges involved in the replacement.  (There were no charges as the blind company graciously replaced everything at no charge!)

Another email surprise!!Another email surprise!!

Julieanna

@Julieanna0  Unbelievable.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Julieanna0  I tried to answer your DM and couldn't get anywhere.  I clicked "reply," then all I got were the words "message body" with nowhere to type.  Will try later!

@Ann72 Airbnb censorship at work again?!??  I can tell you I have experienced some very blatant and bizarre censorship including IP blocking by them!  @Sarah977 if you have tried to DM me, apparently others are having trouble sending messages.

Julieanna

@Julieanna0 I just DMed you, I got a proper message box. Let me know if it comes through.

@Sarah977  It did and I replied.  🙂

Julieanna
Caree1
Level 2
Chula Vista, CA

Guests now how the ability to hold my calendar hostage. Airbnb does not see this as a problem. When a request is labeled "Not possible" a host should be able to open the dates back up, but they are not. If you don't have the option to decline then the only person who can immediately clear the calendar lies with a guest that is not approved to stay. I am wondering if anyone at Airbnb realizes this? Yes, I have outlined this in a support thread to no avail.