Booking Request now has cold feet RE cancellation policy for a Long Term Stay and hasn't replied

Sylva1
Level 2
Troy, NY

Booking Request now has cold feet RE cancellation policy for a Long Term Stay and hasn't replied

Last night I received a BOOKING REQUEST (not an inquiry) for a 2 month-stay.

The message he sent four minutes after the request included the following "Before you accept, just wanna make sure that I can get full refund 24 hrs before check-in right?"

This morning I clarified that my FLEXIBLE booking policy is overridden by Airbnb's LongTerm Stay Policy, where the first month is not refundable, and requires 30 day notice for cancellation. And then I asked whether he wanted me to accept or decline the Booking Request.

I have now been waiting three hours for a response from him ... at what point do I accept or decline his request? I can accept it and he's on the hook for the booking, or I can decline him and he can request it again... I am going to send another message now stating I can either accept or decline, but that I need to do so asap today as the dates are blocked until he responds.?

Help!

4 Replies 4
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sylva1

I would send him another message and say I will give him another few hours to withdraw the request if he changed his mind or I will accept his booking at XX h.

Declining requests can affect your search ranking so don't decline if you don't have to. And of course, you have to accept/decline before 24 hours expire.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Sylva1 

I would let him know that you will give him until 5pm today to cancel his own request if he is having doubts. If you do not hear from him, you will accept the request. And Airbnb's cancelation policy will likely apply unless HE speaks to them.

If you let the request lapse, you will be dinged. If you decline the request, you will be dinged. He needs to take responsibility for his own request.

Sylva1
Level 2
Troy, NY

I updated him again, he responded right away to that - stating that he'd requested a reservation too early, his needs weren't solid yet, and that he didn't want the booking. I went to decline and he had already cancelled his request, so no dings on me!! YAY!

@Sylva1 , Good! Funny how people respond right away when there is money at stake. I’m glad it wasn’t too much of a headache for you.