Booking cancellation - now stating Covid

in
Belfast, United Kingdom
Level 2

Hi all,

I am quite new to hosting, and would welcome some advice. I have had a guest cancel, initially stating 2 of their party had flu, and now stating it is Covid.

The timeline is this:

Evening of 14th October - guest books for 2 nights on 22nd October

Morning of 17th October - guest contacts me to state 2 of her party have flu, and they will have to cancel. My cancellation policy is strict, and as it is within 7 days of the stay, there is no refund.

2 hours later, guest contacts me to state it is actually Covid and requests a refund. They attach a screenshot stating that a named person has a positive Covid test, which was taken on 14th October (i.e. before the booking was made). I do not know if the person named on the screenshot is actually one of the party.

My concerns are:

I was initially told 2 guests had flu - 2 hours later this has changed to Covid.

I don't know if the screenshot actually relates to someone in the party.

I think the story has changed to try to avail of the extenuating circumstances policy.

This person booked to stay in my home, knowing that one of their party had undertaken a Covid test.

It is peak season for school holidays, and I am unlikely to get a further booking at this late stage.

What would you do? Thanks.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Booking cancellation - now stating Covid

in
Alberta, Canada
Level 10

@Phil3258 The covid EC policy doesn’t apply here, unless the booking guest  is ill with Covid. I would simply direct the guest to review the policy, and stand my ground. They will likely go around you and complain to CS, who will no doubt grant a full refund anyway, as all the guest has to do is ‘attest’ to the fact they have Covid. 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid19

View solution in original post

6 Replies

in
Alberta, Canada
Level 10

@Phil3258 The covid EC policy doesn’t apply here, unless the booking guest  is ill with Covid. I would simply direct the guest to review the policy, and stand my ground. They will likely go around you and complain to CS, who will no doubt grant a full refund anyway, as all the guest has to do is ‘attest’ to the fact they have Covid. 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid19

View solution in original post

in
Belfast, United Kingdom
Level 2

Thanks @Colleen253 ,

I have gone back to the guest to ask for more information - i.e. when the PCR test was booked, when the test results were received, and a screenshot showing that the person with the positive Covid test is named as a guest on the AirBnB booking.

I didn't realise that it is only the booking guest that the extenuating circumstances policy applies to. Do you happen to know that if AirBNB deem that the extenuating circumstances policy applies, does the refund come from me, or is it a fund that I think I read about?

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@Phil3258  There is no fund. When a guest is refunded, the host receives no payout.

in
Santa Monica, CA
Level 7

@Phil3258 Sorry this happened to you - Airbnb will almost certainly refund them if they can show a positive Covid test.  This just happened to me.  I had a guest cancel a 10-day reservation 3 days before arrival by showing a positive Covid test to Airbnb, even though I have a strict cancellation policy.  I felt for the guest and offered to try to rebook the dates and give the guest a refund for any dates that were booked by others, but the guest just went around me and got a full refund from Airbnb.  So now I am out thousands of $$ through no fault of my own.  I wasn't aware that positive Covid tests still qualified for a full refund, but they do.  It makes me want to try to get more bookings through other sites that give the owner full control over refunds.

in
Belfast, United Kingdom
Level 2

That really sucks for you @Deirdre12.

As an update, we got a bit more clarity on the circumstances. The person in the party had indeed taken a PCR test prior to booking, and then waited 3 days before letting us know the positive result, which I wasn't impressed with.

I offered a 50% refund, with the undertaking that if I got another booking for those dates that I would refund the remainder. They were happy with this, and fortunately we have got another booking - so it has all worked out.

in
Santa Monica, CA
Level 7

@Phil3258  Thanks for the update.  I am so glad it worked out well! Sounds like you navigated it like a seasoned host.