Booking deposit

Aileen16
Level 2
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Booking deposit

Hello, we are new to airbnb, and have an enquiry about our flat.  They are asking how much deposit is required to secure the booking, and when is the final payment to be made.  I dont want to give them incorrect information, so would appreciate any help.  Many thanks

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Aileen16 Full payment is taken immediately when they book (unless they are long stay guests: ie more than 30 days). If you have a security deposit in place, they do not pay this up front it is just an agreement to pay up to that amount should there be any damage (and it is agreed by all parties). Y

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Aileen16

Sounds as if you guys are new to airbnb as well as your guests.

Please have a look at the help sections on Airbnb's website and the community guides on these forums so you understand all the basics around how airbnb works.

Pay special attention to how cancellations work, instant book, house rules, deposits and host guarantee (you need your own home insurance for short stays too).

I notice on your listing you have no charge for extra guests. I would change this straight away.

Have a look at what other hosts near you with comparable properties do. Normally you would charge an additional per person charge after four guests I think.

Also you need to tighten your house rules a lot. Particularly around noise, extra guests, visitors, expectations around cleanliness etc.

If you are an absent host, you will probably also want to consider CCTV so you can see who is coming and going from your property.

Good luck.

Im new to Air BnB. Ive been renting my villa for over 20 years, and people book up to a year in advance. We always  took a 50% deposit to secure the booking. It doesnt seem reasonable to ask someone to pay 100% upfront when the booking is still months away.

We also had a cancellation refund policy