Booking for a child even though it's listed as not suitable

Jules38
Level 2
Dymock, United Kingdom

Booking for a child even though it's listed as not suitable

I thought that as my listing is marked as not suitable for children then no one would be able to book with a child?  Am I right?  I've just realised that the 2 people coming tomorrow is one adult and one child.   I've messaged the guest but not received any response.

6 Replies 6
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Jules38 

I have had similar problems. People just cannot imagine that anyone would turn away a child.

After multiple bad experiences I would and I have. 

My insurance does not cover children and I am not going to assume the risk.

You may notify the guest again and inform them that children will not be admitted to the premises as guests or visitors. If they refuse to respond you can contact Airbnb and cancel the reservation on the grounds that they refuse to communicate.

I don’t know why anyone would want to impose their children on hosts who don’t want them, but they do.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

How did you come to realize that there was a child coming?  Was it on the reservation information provided at the time of the booking?  If so, then you should call the guest and discuss your oversight or if the child was not disclosed, advise of the cancellation.  It is possible the child is older and you can accommodate.  I don't believe any rules we have stop a person from booking via the system.  Did you think they did?  Good luck and let us know what happens.

Jules38
Level 2
Dymock, United Kingdom

the enquiry said 2 people but I don't think it detailed a child - it's only since I've looked further that it says 1 adult and 1 child.  I assumed that as my listings say not suitable for children and babies then guests would not be able to book for a child!   I know they could just book 2 adults anyway but no one has ever done that.  I have had people asking about children and dogs even though it clearly says NO to both but I always decline.  I have a hot tub and children and hot tubs just mean trouble as far as I'm concerned.

@Jules38 There is no mechanism that blocks a guest with a child from booking, when you select that your listing is not suitable for children. The system only limits the number of guests that can be input as per your listing settings, and in fact, as you’ve now learned, ‘child’ can be selected. Further, a guest can input 20 infants if they wanted, as Airbnb doesn’t count infants as ‘guests’ and there is no limit. 

I suggest you follow Linda’s advised course of action. 

Jules38
Level 2
Dymock, United Kingdom

Thanks for the information… that’s interesting about not counting infants as guests? 

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Jules38     I just had a request come in for one adult and two children.   Guest joined back in 2016, no reviews. Profile indicates the guest lives in Chicago, but the opening message just says "We will be flying in, arriving at xx.xx time".   I indicate "not suitable for children under 12" on my listing. 

It's the second time this weekend I've received a message with no greeting or introduction - just flight details.   Is this some new guest prompt ?

I've sent back my "get to know you" questions, including asking for the ages of the children, and whether the guest has read some of the listing specifics. No communication received back at the moment. 

Oh - guest is typing....

It gets more interesting.....someone trying to book for his sister. Kids are 14 and 12. I asked him to get her set up with an account and book with me directly.