Booking inquiry from "Nigerian surgeon" / special offers terms

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Booking inquiry from "Nigerian surgeon" / special offers terms

Hi all,

I recently received a 2-week booking inquiry from new account claiming to be a surgeon from Nigeria,  complete with photo in a surgical mask.   (We are near a medical center).

The person is relaitively well-spoken but tends to ask questions easily answered in my house guide (do you have a washer and dryer?) and make occasional errors.

Should I flag or otherwise report the inquiry?   As well,  I'm unsure what the scam could be,  uninclined to accept a reservation that could easily be cancelled.

Is there any way to send a special offer that has strict cancellation (different cancellaton terms from the default on the listing?).

Any other advice appreciated.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kenneth12 if you have concerns you can ask your potential guest to upload a picture without a mask. Many people search for accomodation on their mobile phones where all the informations are not so in-front-of-the-nose as on a pc so maybe that's why is he asking. It is not so uncommon. 

I don't think you can make a special offer with special cancellation option.

You can ask him few more questions before you accept or decline

Hello over there in Zagreb-- it's been a long time since I've been through that wonderful city!  And thanks for your reply.

May I presume you are not familiar with Nigerian scammers?  They seemed to target forums in Prague,  as much as the US.

I've asked a variety of follow-up questions.  While I'd be fine having a doctor from Nigeria,  the account is new and the fact that they use what may be a stock photo of a black doctor,   a red flag.  I'll try asking them to upload a photo,  but of course,  they could just use one of a doctor they are impersonating.

Krystyna3
Level 2
Balgowlah, Australia

We have also had the same issues and I too was wondering how to alert others to this scammer.  Two separate booking enquiries, no verified ID and asking basic questions about how many beds we have when all of that info is very clear.  The Nigerian claimed to be travelling with wife and three children.  I reverse google image searched him and turns out he is a student. My guess is he wanted to travel with 10 of his mates and would have been a real problem guest who broke all the rules.  Would love to alert others. Is there a place we can report scammers to Airbnb?  Thanks 🙂

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Kenneth12

If he is a surgeon, perhaps he is there for work/training purposes ? If the guest is communicative, that could be checked I suppose ?

For a special offer with a different cancellation policy, you would have to change your policy while he books, then revert to the original when the booking is made.  You would have to decline the current one and he would have to make a new request after you have changed your cancellation policy, so you will have to be up front about it all.  

Not all Nigerians are scammers.  

@Krystyna3

You can flag the profile.  

Thanks Marit Anne - the flag was easy to find when I knew what I was looking for. 

Krystyna

Thanks for understanding that not all Nigerians are scammers. 

Am a Nigerian and also an Airbnb host in Lagos Nigeria. We are very nice and friendly people. Yes about %2 of Nigerian's can be scammers (scammers are everywhere) %98 are hard working people. 

Love joy Ofili yebovi