Booking requests for the wrong number of guests

Sarah2214
Level 2
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom

Booking requests for the wrong number of guests

A difference between the number of guests on the booking, or booking request, and the number that actually arrive is becoming a frequent issue for us. In most cases we know about this in advance because the booker is quite open about it in messages. It' s how do deal with it effectively that's a bit of a problem.

Here is the typical scenario (happening right now).

We have instant book on, but normally get Booking Requests rather than bookings, because we have "require Government ID" on, and most guests wanting to book don't seem to have supplied that in advance.

So, the Booking Request is sitting there with the 24 hour timer ticking down. We can see that the request is for one person, when in their message they have said that they are a party of four. We try to communicate with the guest, but of course they are not aware of any urgency.

Should we decline the request, and ask the booker to make the request again with the right number of guests? Or is there some better way to handle this that makes it less likely that we'll lose the booking (e.g. can the booker change their request before it's accepted)? Or should we accept then send a change request?

TIA!

6 Replies 6

@Sarah2214  If you're worried about losing the booking, you can try declining the request but sending a Special Offer with the correct price and guest count. 

But it's entirely plausible that the actual number of people intending to come is not four but eight or twelve. So the safer bet may be to decline and invite them to re-submit, and in doing so make it very clear that once the party size is locked in, no number of guests beyond that number will be permitted on the property. (Your rules already say this, but there don't appear to be any safeguards against guests being snuck in later or indications on how you intend to enforce the restriction).

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah2214 You can actually send the special offer without the need to decline the current offer first. At least this has been the case for me- might have changed. 

when a reservation comes in, we send a message such as

“hello

hope you are well  and thank you for your interest in our home.

please confirm the following 

check in 

check out 

total number of guests 

please ensure your whole group read full listing and rules as to better manage expectations.

(any any other points which generally are missed out)

Kindest regards,

xxx”

Good luck to you! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Sarah2214 

I am another UK host who requires government ID and I would say about 95% of my guests use IB, so interesting that you receive so many requests from guests who haven't uploaded it.

If this happens to me I just write back and say "I notice you have booked for one, but mention in your message that 'we' are wanting to stay at your place. Just want to make sure we have the correct number of guests on the booking. If you can adjust  and upload your government ID, I would be happy to approve your booking".

Sarah2214
Level 2
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom

Thanks to all.

I immediately informed the booker that they needed to change their request, but of course they think that having given payment details, they have already booked and are not reading my message any more than they read the airbnb blurb telling them that their booking was subject to acceptance.

I can't see a way to make a Special Offer. Maybe it's not possible to do this before declining?

I guess the answer in these situations is to decline then send an offer immediately. It's going to confuse the guests who seem to be struggling with the booking form (which couldn't be much clearer imo).

@Sarah2214  I've also never seen Special Offer as an option before declining. And even if it were, it would not stop the clock before the Request times out. So if it were an option, I still wouldn't recommend it.

These guests sound rather inattentive to basics, which means they probably haven't read your listing and rules carefully either. Are you really sure you want them to book after all?

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Sarah2214  and @Anonymous 

this is what I see and it usually stops the clock- once again maybe it’s a UK based thing, with Airbnb you never know!  Thanks C5149D15-745A-4BF0-8EEE-61DC7D726A88.png

Edit: please ignore this is for enquiries not requests. 🙈