Bookings in Coogee/Sydney

Laura2323
Level 1
Coogee, Australia

Bookings in Coogee/Sydney

Hi

So I have just listed two new properties on Coogee (Sydney). I’m struggling to get bookings, have even dropped the price to $30 a night when the going rate is $200 and still nothing . I have a few pics but no reviews. Could this be the problem? I’m not officially moved in yet to either of them so can’t take better photos yet..

helllllppppp!

Thanks you! 

11 Replies 11

IMHO, you need more and brighter Photos. Take the whole roome in different angles. Price is great. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2323 Agree with Helen and Mario- your photos are pretty bad. Only 13 (which is okay as long as they're good) , 2 of which are the same (the beach), rest are washed out, don't show the entire space (guests want to see the whole bedroom, not just the bed- is there a closet, desk, chair?), so a couple picks from different angles of the bedroom. What's with the empty room photo? That doesn't look like a comfy space 🙂 And many of the photos are tiny- increase the size. Walls are barren, put up some art or interesting things on the wall. 

Also, that Host cancellation will be off-putting to some guests. No one wants to take the chance that they'll have their booking cancelled, although at least it was 66 days out, not last minute.

Kristy43
Level 5
West Moonah, Australia

Yep, I think the photos might be part of the problem...... You cant get a sense of how the space works as a whole.  I would take new photos as soon as you get access, that are much more bright and inviting.  Great price so I would think once you have done this, you might start to get some more bookings.  One review did mention the bed was actually a couch (or something to that effect), so I would definitely take photos of the beds etc if they are improvements.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

You can't figure out why no one wants to stay in your two properties in Coogee?  Are you blind?  They look very, very unappealing.  What's the point of even listing them on Airbnb if you're too lazy to spend some time and a few dollars to promote them? 

How can you not see that the photos are repetitive, out of focus, dark, ugly and, often, downright ridiculous? For example, one of your listings has a two photos of empty rooms.  Another photo proudly highlights a tatty, dog-eared colouring book and a selection of grubby looking books and your 'toy basket' showcases a few trashy looking plastic bits of tat and a Chemist Warehouse bag.  How can you possibly think that's ok?  

There's also the very serious issue of overcrowding.  Your tiny 1 bedder is listed for up to 5 guests, and in your listing description you offer to cram in even more.   What if there's a fire?  There's a reason the new regs will only allow properties like yours to house a maximum of 2 guests!

Hi

Thanks so much for this.. I didn’t realise those pics of the empty rooms were still up lol..

I’m going to pay someone to take some pics of the place, I love the place, it’s freshly and breezy but I am somewhat blind in one eye and I’m in denial about being colour blind so I see completely different to most  haha so you’ve hit the nail on the head...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Wow @Louise0

Your comments to @Laura2323 are rather harsh.

You can provide feedback without, to be honest, sounding rather nasty.

@Laura2323 I agree it would be useful to get a friend who is a keen amateur or a professional photographer in, but before you do this. Think about how you dress your rooms to appeal to your target market.

You already have quite a few great reviews on this listing I looked at, so are appealing to your target market. Invest in a lovely children's box and fill it with some new books and toys - you don't have to spend too much. 

Look at a lick of paint to bright the place up and some photos of local attractions and some cushions. Show a table set for a family to eat so they can imagine eating there.

Add picturs of a family (could be your family) playing on the beach.

I would set your listing up to hold a maximum of two adults and two children plus if there is room a cot.  Not for four adults. Add this into your house rules And price accordingly - at the moment, you charge at the moment the same for four as you do for one. You need to increase your prices.

Good luck.

Louise0
Level 10

Helen, the new regs for STR in Sydney stipulate a maximum of two people, of any age, per room.  I expect that this will change to two adults + one child under the age of 12, once the regs are finalised.  

Regs like this exist for a reason.   Situations like Laura's kill people.   Cramming 5+ people into a one bedroom flat (yes, incredibly Laura's listing description mentions 5 'or more') and blocking egress to the one exit by plonking beds down in the middle of the sitting room floor puts lives at risk.  When a landlord puts their wallet before someone's life, then I have absolutely no problem with being as brutal in my critique as I can possibly be. 

Airbnb needs to take some responsibility here.  Listings like Laura's should be removed until they cut the guest number down to 3 max (or 2 if the draft regs go through unchanged).   Hopefully when the new regs  kick in and there is a mandated max guest/room ratio, Airbnb will take action.

@Louise0  can you point me to where i can read about these proposed changes for STR in Sydney please.  I am aware of the proposed changes to 180 days where the host is not present and also read Airbnb email yesterday re what Labour may implement if they win this State election.  I have missed mention of people per room and perhaps other things.  Hope you can help. Thankyou

Louise0
Level 10

@Louise0  wow thank you. How did i miss this.  I live on the property but have a four bedroom, two lounges separate guest accommodation.  I allow up to 11 guests in a group but that includes 2 toddlers plus a bed in one of the lounges.  The interconnected smoke alarms in each bedroom sound onerous. Most houses just have them for kitchens and halls.  This requirement is the same as the requirements for boarding houses where unrelated people stay and may smoke or put a bar heater in their room. As they are not going to allow unrelated guests to stay at the same time in STR i wonder what they are thinking, that guests will smoke in their bedrooms?  I will also need to investigate hall lighting with a smoke sensor.  Didnt know it existed. Thanks again.

Neil131
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

HI Laura

The photos are very important. I host an airbnb in the Southern highlands and also shoot interiors as a job.

If you havent had some professional photos done already I can help you out. I also have good lifestyle images of Coogee. Is there a link to your listing I cant see it? regards Neil.