Boost bookings by lowering prices........

Answered!
Gemma123
Level 2
Pecket Well, United Kingdom

Boost bookings by lowering prices........

I am new to Airbnb and not quite sure how to deal with message to boost my bookings.  I have had 3 bookings so far and it would be great if I could boost my earnings but I am offering a lovely double room for £30 for 1 or 2 guests.  Airbnb suggesting £22.  I am a bit reluctant to reduce nightly price to this amount as I feel £30 for 2 people given lovely space/breakfast/extras is good value.  Maybe reduce to £22 for one guest?

Thank you

Gemma 

1 Best Answer

@Gemma123  Yes I looked at both that's why I told to charge more for the second person. As the reviews come in bookings will too. I would actualy say that once you have 10+ reviews raise the extra guest fee to  £15 and base price to  £35. I would also add another listing that would include both bedrooms to attract a larger group of 3 or 4. I'd price at  £60 for two and extra guests 3 and 4 get charged  £10 each until that listing has 10+ reviews then increase it to  £70 and  £15. You can link the bedrooms so if Bedroom 1 or 2 gets book the listing with both rooms gets blocked automatically. If both rooms get booked bedroom 1 and 2 get blocked automatically. This would increase your booking possiblities. 

How do I link Airbnb calendars for multiple listings?

If you have multiple listings on Airbnb (for example, an entire home and a room inside that home), you can link their Airbnb calendars to prevent double-bookings.

To link Airbnb calendars for multiple listings:

1. Go to Listings on airbnb.com and click a listing whose calendar you'd like to link
  2. Click Availability
  3. Next to Linked Airbnb calendars, click Link
  4. Click Create linked calendars, then select the listing for the entire home you’d like to link to other calendars
  5. Click Next
  6. Select the listings inside of the home, then click Save

Note: If you don’t indicate that the listings are connected, a reservation for one listing won’t automatically block those reservation dates on the other listing's calendar. For example, if the primary listing is booked for a certain date, then it will block that date on the calendars of any listings under it, and vice versa. However, if you block a date on a calendar of a listing under the primary listing, it won't block the calendars of other listings at that level, only the calendar of the primary listing it's linked to.

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
Susan1690
Level 2
Des Moines, IA

I find the constant pressure to lower my price really irritating and totally inaccurate.  What is the benefit to air B&B to get us to work more for lass?

@Susan1690  The benefit to Airbnb is that the lower the prices, the more guests will book, fast and furiously. So they can collect their 12-25% booking fees. That's all they care about. They couldn't care less about you busting your a**, even if you only make $5 profit a night. Or no profit.

Ignore those pricing suggestions like you'd ignore some pervert in a dirty raincoat exposing himself as you walk by. Offensive, but ultimately harmless. Don't allow it to irritate you- life's too short for that. The pricing suggestions are just laughable. 

I am holding steady on my price, ignoring the irritating flood of bad advice.  I have as much business as I can handle.  I urge all hosts to hold out for better prices.  

@Letti0 @Sarah977 

Please, can you tell me what Revenue per Available room means? And what does it mean MoM and YoY after it? I have 15$ as RevAR - and -/minus/45% YoY and - 42% Mom. What does it mean?

As for the tips of lowering prices - it works for me, I am getting booked with lowering the price. And I use the tips when just one forth or one fifth of the nights for the month are staying unbooked.

But the big problem is that too often now people are booking for just one person! Just now I have a booking for 2 persons and 2 infants - the same couple stayed before/a week ago/ as 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant. And my price for a second person is just 7$, imagine! - 7$!!! And these guests now skipped the child - 2 and a half years as not to pay this little amount. I wonder how to ask them to pay for it - have in mind that they are also hosts!!! They came 1.30 a.m. - the first stay - I have not asked them to pay me for the late arrival although I have it in my house rules - 5$ for every hour delay after 11.00 p.m. 

And 2 Ausralian ladies asked me for a special offer complaining that the price of 20$ has jumped considerably after addind the second person! At that time my price for a second person was 5$! And I have not got a cleaning fee!!! And a little breakfast is included! No, I do not agree that with higher prices you get better guests - the better off, the richer the guests - my experience is that exactly these guests are trying to bull me and asking for a lower price!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lilly28  I have no idea what those things you mention in the first paragraph mean. Where do you see those? I've never heard of them.

Lilly, it seems to me that you are allowing guests to get away with taking advantage of you. When people arrive with more guests than they booked for, or try to get away with not paying a measly $7 extra for their 2 and a half year old, they are acting entitled, dishonest, and disrespectful. You should be amending their booking right away when they arrive for things like that.

When guests first book, or send a booking request, you should ask them to verify that they have put the correct number of guests on the booking. "Hi XX, thanks for the Booking Request. Just to verify- you have entered 1 guest on the request. Is that correct? If there are going to be more people in your party than just you, please enter the correct number of guests who will be staying. Only guests listed and paid for on the booking will be allowed to enter the property- I'd hate to have some mix-up on arrival and have to turn you away."

I agree with you that lower prices do not mean it attracts low-quality guests. My listing is budget-traveler friendly and I get lovely guests. I think it really depends on where your listing is, what you offer, why people come to your area, and the type of guests your listing attracts. 

@Sarah977 

Thank you for your attention and reply!!! Thank you again and again!

As for the first paragraph - I see it in Dashboard - Performance - one of the drop down menues.

Yes, sometimes people are trying to use my tolerance - several times I asked just as you said - my guests to enter the right number - and the reply was - You do it - or - What is the matter, I will pay you by hand on arriving... When I do it - I have to send a request the additional amount to be paid, and the guest has to agree. Previously it was automatically done, I cannot understand why they changed it this way.