Break-in and theft in the villa

Ayush1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Break-in and theft in the villa

Hey,

My brother recently rent an Airbnb in ibiza. Unfortunately on friday, 14th July 2017, someone broke in the villa and stole his and his friends' passports, mobile phones, wallet, bags and cash. Overall they stole money and goods around 4000 euros. Being the last day of agreement, the owner refused to help in this matter and took the 1200 euros rent and asked my brother to leave the house. Apart from this, there was no sign of forced entry in the villa and the owner didnt seemed concern about it and didnt call the police, which i believe is a bit strange. I also find the owner morally wrong to not help my brother, who is an international. 

I have asked my brother to carry the police report with him and travel to madrid togo to embassy and arrange a return back home.  

What can be done in this matter? Is there a chance of refund or support from Airbnb? 

Regards 

Ayush 

13 Replies 13
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

@Ayush0 Sorry for your brothers troubles but if the host was not found responsible by the police your brother paid for his stay fair and square. Have him reach out to Airbnb, not sure if anyone's insurance covers this.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

So he did report the matter to the Police, usually his Travel Insurers would require a Police Report.

If I had been the Host I would have called the Police on his behalf but that would be my personal choice.

I see no reason for a refund, what sort of support does he need?

David
Ayush1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

If i have a break in my place I would call the police to check atleast. And will atleast hold some responsibility. I am quite shock to notice that such host exist on Airbnb, as this incident at the same resident can happen again. Further, I actually didnt know no security is provided by host, as I dont think so its possible to hide your bags and suitcase before leaving the house everytime. I fail to understand how does airbnb provides security to its guest then and how does guest know that their valuables are safe the place. And if such incidents happen what is the procedure to help and assit the guest and the host. 

Apart from this, if i have a guest whose all the cash, credit card, passport, mobiles and clothes (basically everything) are stolen. I would try to support him and provide him housing for one day at least cause the person has no where to go. Being an international, my brother had no support, no passport, no phone and didnt even have enough money to go to Madrid where the embassy is. In terms of humanity I would atleast feel bad and help the guy out. Or atleast call the police and the travel insurance company to arrange something for the person. One thing i dont understand is what person would not call the police if a robbery take place at his own resident, as usually at Airbnbs host have their own stuff. 

I also find service provided by Airbnb unsafe if the host holds no responisibility of the security of his own place and in case like this provides no support the guest is helpless and has to deal with. I am not talking about any compensation here but I would atleast seems to understand how the break in happened and take measure to prevent . Calling no police at the resident raises doubt among me and my family about the security at the place and the intentions of the host. 

I am really sorry but after your replies and this experience I think this is the first and last time i will be using Airbnb. 

Simona647
Level 1
Richterswil, Switzerland

Hello, I totally agree with you. We rent a villa in Costa Rica and also everything was stolen on the last day. Luckily we had our phones and some cards with us but total nightmare. The owner was not even in the country so just wrote a text message saying it never happened before. No support of any sort.
I am totally shocked Airbnb has not a policy in place to help the costumers in such circumstances. After all Airbnb collect a fee on your rental to SUPPORT you if something go wrong. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have rented villas in Portugal and Spain, pre AirBnB and there was a local agent that would meet us and handover the key etc.

To be honest it would have never occurred to me to contact the booking service.

Obviously there are many people who are rent out their holiday homes when they are not in use and would have been no more help than you could be.

Good that his Travel Insurers were able to help out and get everything sorted, part of the package they provide is to a 24 hour support center for assistance in cases such as these.

Some people prefer package holidays with a rep on hand and that certainly is your choice.

David

My boyfriend is currently in Ibiza at the moment and rented one of their villas. The very first day he and his friends arrived they went out,and come back home later that night to see ALL their clothes had been stolen from their suitcases. Every single one of their clothes and yet again he said there was no sign of forced entry, and the lady who owned the villa didnt care at all. Inside job theifs dont use this company!

@Lucy140

Which Company owned the Villa?

David

This company. Villa sankey

It's disgusting

The chances of anybody looking to book the Villa Sankey being on this forum are very unlikely, I did find her lisiting, she has 18 villas, well no doubt an Agent unlikely to be an Owner and no doubt lists through mutliple sites.

From a practical point of view more an issue for the Police and their Travel Insurers.

David
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

1. It is up to the victim of the theft to call the police.

2. It is wrong to assume that the host did the stealing without having any proof.

3. It is wrong to assume that the host will provide a free stay if there was a theft if it was not the host's fault. It is very possible that the villa was booked for the next night.

When they contacted Maria the host she couldnt give a **bleep** but was quick enough to take their money. As i said inside jobs worth, do not trust this company if you're looking to rent villas. Its not safe and you will just get robbed 

Well I have no plans to book a Villa managed by Maria. But take your warning.

David