Breakfast or no breakfast?

Ian-And-Helen0
Level 2
Whakatane, New Zealand

Breakfast or no breakfast?

Hi. My husband and I run a fairly sucessful AirBNB here in New Zealand. We provide a continental breakfast of a variety of cereals, toast with a range of jams/spreads, orange juice, yogurt and tea or coffee.  We recently did a world trip and was amazed that only one of the airBNBs we stayed at supplied breakfast. We would be interested as to how many do supply breakfast and how many don't.

I always thought that B&B stood for Bed and Breakfast?? Also is what we supply in line with others who do supply breakfast?

Cheers Helen

67 Replies 67
Stephanie18
Level 3
Port Townsend, WA

Hi there!

I offer to my guests, before arrival, their choice of bagels & cream cheese OR croissants & jam.

Coffee, tea, hot cocoa and a bottle of water are always stocked.

I also offer an adult beverage upon arrival, they have their choice of a local hard cider or beer.  I always make sure my guests are of drinking age.

And, I love to bake so most evenings when guests arrive, I greet them with a small homemade treat.

For the summer months, we have a fire pit ready to go as well as some complimentary marshmellows and smore ingredients. (I don't do much baking in the heat of the summer months) Also, for holidays, I do a little something extra. This weekend being Valentines Day, my guests will receive a bottle of wine, chocolate covered strawberries and some local made fine chocolates.

I always assumed it's up to each host to decide what they have the time and energy for... and for guests, they get to decide by reviews, if they want a little more attention or if they'd prefer to be left on their own.

Wow, I want to come to your place -home baked goodies makes my mouth water. It seems you give your guests

a wonderful service. Im not quite up to that standard but I do make home made soap and they all get a sample to take away with them.

Thanks for your comment. cheers Helen

I offer a light breakfast consisting of fresh fruit with yogurt, coffee/tea, and homemade bread (banana, cornbrea with blueberries) or regular bread with homemade jam (strawberry, peach, mango, etc)

I don't think I'm allowed to provide adult beverages in Kansas without a liquor license...

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

In order to keep the cost of my listing low, I don't offer any breakfast items.  I've found that virtually all my guests prefer to eat out for their meals and I host in a city known for their amazing breakfast/brunch places.

We are in a small town and there are places to go for breakfast. But I know how convenient it is when

a simple breakfast is made available. My husband is a diabetic and breakfast is an important part of his day

so hunting around town for a suitable place early in the morning is a hassle we found. cheers Helen

I host in Boca Raton Florida and put out the continental breakfast like you and then they're happy and on their own for the rest of the day...thank you for this chat

I'm new to Airbnb. What do the levels mean?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ivy5, I'm not sure, but I think it has to do with how many times you've posted on these forums.

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

I have wondered what the second b stands for if not breakfast? We do offer breakfast. Pretty much the same as you do --- juice, toast, cereal, yogurt, bagels, sometimes muffins and coffee/tea. Some people don't eat but many do and seem to like and appreciate that we offer it. We are in a small town without lots of breakfast choices.

We have found that guests really appreciate having a breakfast supplied. We set it out each night

then the guest can come down to eat whenever. We just make toast and tea or coffee when they arrive.

I'm sure the B&B is for bed & breakfast.

The initial concept of Airbnb was "Airbed and Breakfast".  The early days were largely couch-surfing and airbed set-ups.  Things sure have changed!

Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

It sound like both @Ian-And-Helen0 and @Stephanie18 offer a very personalized experience. I am just the oppisite. I provide Candy and soft drinks in the refrigerator. The reason that I do not do breakfast or other labor-intensive activities is because I do not live on the property and since I am working full-time I would likely be unavailable to provide breakfast. Also my room is at a lower-than-average price-point and since I am (apparently) targeting more price conscious segment than others. Providing more services in my room that 'favors utility over eligance' would likely not lead increased revenue, so I don't do it.

Fair comment Scott, it would be difficult when you dont live in the property.

We have 2 rooms available in our house and as we are both retired we are in a position to do what we do.

Price wise we are very average compared to other places in town, we are not low priced but then

we definitely are not high end either.

cheers Helen