Breakfast

Vicki61
Level 2
Yorba Linda, CA

Breakfast

Hi, I'm a new host with my first reservation.  I just noticed that it was checked that I will provide breakfast.  It seems that I had just said that I would provide coffee, tea, juice, etc.  I want to make sure my guests understand that I will not be cooking.  I can't find where breakfast is defined.  I also can't find where I can start a new message with my guests. 

21 Replies 21
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Airbnb does not define "breakfast" - it's up to the host to define what they are willing to provide.  Some hosts just do a simple continental breakfast with bagels and/or muffins and fruit and others cook elaborate hot meals.

You can use the same message thread you already have with your guest in your inbox.

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Did you change your listing because I can't see where it says you provide breakfast. Anyway if your listing initially said breakfast I would go all out and do a nice btreakfast fir the guest in the hopes of an initial stellar review. Then clarify your listing to make clear what you offer for future guests. 

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

You can offer a continental breakfast which requires no cooking.  Just make sure you say it's a continental breakfast when you describe your space.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I note that I provide a "light breakfast" in my description. I set up a basic Continental breakfast with a few bagels, English muffins, my Kureg with a few options, milk, and juice. I don't get too extravagant because the math doesn't add up. Once I clean up the room, wash the bed clothes, provide some "amenities" and set up the light breakfast I'm pretty close to making no profit. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

Change the word from "light" to "continental".

I'm not kidding.  You're gonna a guest one day who defines a light breakfast as two eggs, over easy, with toast but no hashbrowns.

Roger11
Level 2
Houston, TX

Hey there,

I wanted to know if providing 5 different types of Kellogs/cereals (with of course milk and coffee and Juice, bread, butter and marmelade) would be considered like a breakfast ?

Thank you for your answers !

Yes.  Cereal and milk are breakfast.

Francesca18
Level 3
Brighton, United Kingdom

I agree. My free continental breakfast includes yoghurt, fruit yoghurt. bread, hard boiled egg, cereal and milk. I had a group of 7 the biggest I ever did. I spent about £550 in total now its the beginning of season so,  teaspoons , mugs, new sheets and towels etc are included in all this. I earnt 950 or so. but take that off leaves £400  for I 10 hours to prepare house and most of yesterday a good 5-6 hour day. Really it just helps my cash flow. I have to sleep at a friends house and move all my stuff out,  a car load. I am a very messy person esp with office and business stuff..my belongings get scattered and things get lost eg my wallet on a few occassions,  phone etc but I usually re find. I do a cook paid for breakfast if asked for. Anyway this weekend a chinese girl comes she eats my grapefruit not for guests I put smile face on all the food for guests. She asks for eggs and wants scrambled eggs and soft boils an egg that breaks everywhere..so I am now 5 eggs down on one person. What is an egg not much but its annoying. However she then decides to  book to therapy sessions with me..so I am up £70. OK..I guess longer terms it will work as the season goes on and I can buy less for the guests and more for me or squirrel a bit away.  but I am still a duvet cover short. as all the buttons fallen off! What really annoyed me was yesterday someone sort of stole bread and butter and made sandwich s and stole cereal. I am generous but I need to know not to put all out at once.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Hi @Vic0ki

I supply a light breakfast and also put in my description

"Breakfast is also provided with a choice of cereal, fruit juice and yoghurt, If you have a specific requirement ie. type of Cereal we are very happy to oblige. There is also coffee and tea provided in the room."

and in my check-in message I also follow up with "let me know if you have a specific type of cereal, ie. gluton free etc."

on the day I also give toast + marmalade etc. Which the guest often does not expect so they see it as an extra bonus.

Its surprising the number of guests whom are gluton free or want Soya Milk even Soy Yoghart. Letting me know in advance means can easily shop before hand.

Nirmalkumar0
Level 1
Stuttgart, Germany

My Host introduce only Tea Bag to me in Greece, is it concidered as breakfast too?

no tea bag is not breakfast. but better than nothing..if provided with milk...

Gosh I woke up in Spain and there was not a thing...

I had a small hangover and had been dreaming about porridge all night...there was not a thing..and though the hosts talked to us alot they offered nothing..we had to ask for tea and coffee..etc this did not "feel" good. Always provide some food even if its just biscuits. 

Rose-Ann0
Level 3
Fresno, CA

Hi Vicki,

Yes, airbnb means to me that a breakfast would be provided.  Those that don't are being very cheap!  I personally choose to cook  foods such as homemade from scratch buttermilk waffles, served with 2 flavors of syrups, fresh fruits in season (2or3), whip cream (not from a can), a couple of hard boiled eggs, fresh squeezed orange juice and coffee or tea.  Where I live there is much competition, so this awesome breakfast gives my accomdations the edge I need for bookings.  I also have the time to put this together.  If I was working outside the home, breakfast would be much simpler.  Do whatever fits for you.  I recommend that some type of food be served.  It will make all the difference in your airbnb.  Happy hosting!

I do not provide breakfast.. I am not being "cheap" as you say. I state very clearly what I do provide, coffee, tea, basic supplies for cooking like spices and oil etc I freely share.

My prices are so much lower than a hotel.... and cleaning a two bedroom house ,All linen etc, costs way more in housekeeping than I charge. 

I host airbnb while I am away to help pay my rent... I don't come near to making all my expenses and am not able to do this since I am not there.

It's nice you provide breakfast but that doesnt mean I am being cheap. What do you clear after a stay, what are your ratings. There are other factors that make for a good stay.

I travel using airbnb.. breakfast isn't something I want or look for.. A kitchen is ,as I prefer to take care of my own food.

Coffee and tea and basic supplies are very appreciated however.

I agree its good to provide something esp if you are not near local cafes or just because people might wake up hungry..