Breaking house rules

Ian27826
Level 2
Folkestone, United Kingdom

Breaking house rules

What do I do if a guest has broken the house rules, in this case bringing in another guest without notifying me and without spying the addition cost for an extra guest?

8 Replies 8

@Ian27826 You can kick the guest out and refund their unused nights. You can request payment of your Extra Guest Fee. You can let them off with a warning. Or you can do nothing and leave a negative review.

All of these options are available without involving Airbnb, but you have to apply some common sense to decide which one gives you the best end result. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When you say another guest - do you mean they booked for one and came with two or that they had a visitor @Ian27826 .

If the former I would call Airbnb if you are happy to add them to the booking. Ask them to amend the booking and say the guest needs to accept the alteration before the additional guest stays. 

If a day visitor I would ask them to leave, remind guests of your house rule and the importance of this under Covid  and say if it happens again you will need to ask Airbnb to cancel the booking.

Ian27826
Level 2

Thank you Helen3 all sorted.

Again thank you for taking the time to help me.

Kind regards Ian

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Happy to help. Can you let us know what you did as this helps hosts facing similar situations @Ian27826 

Ian27826
Level 2

Thank you again, chatted to the guest and she stated *I thought it would be OK*

I explained the house rules and the extra payment and she was happy to pay, a little embarrassed that I chatted to her about it but its all fine now she is sorry and will pay thr extra.

Kind regards Ian

@Ian27826  I don't actually see anything in your House Rules about unregistered visitors, so you might want to update that.

Ian27826
Level 2

Wow, great shout.

please check now as I have changed my house rules.

Thank you

@Ian27826  There's no need whatsoever to feel embarrassed about mentioning it to her just because she responded politely and responsibly. Many guests, especially those new to the platform, make assumptions about what is and isn't allowed at a Airbnb and as long as a host isn't aggressive about cluing them in, it's important knowledge for them to have.

One of my very first guests, a young gal, first Airbnb booking, booked for one (which is all I host in my private room) and arrived alone. She went into town that night, I went to bed, and in the late morning, when I was having coffee, she emerged from her room with a guy. As a newbie host, who never had read any hosting forums,  I was quite shocked, assuming it was someone she'd picked up from the bar (she wasn't from around here). She right away, quite innocently, introduced me to "My friend XX" and after I greeted him, said to her, gently, "You booked for one person and I only host solo travelers." They both looked so shocked and crestfallen that I could immediately tell she wasn't trying to pull a fast one and asked whether they really wanted to squish into the single bed for a week, to which they replied no problem, they were quite cozy. So I charged them a little more, and let him stay, and they were very sweet people. (Turned out they hadn't see each other for 6 months, were "sort of" boyfriend/girlfriend who had a tentative plan to meet up in my town, and were thrilled to be together again).

But I told her that even though I wasn't going to mention it in the review, she should be aware to always book for the correct number of people, and if not sure, convey to the host that there may be someone joining her, because she could get a really bad review for that in the future.