Breaking house rules

Answered!
Kezneth0
Level 3
Bradford, United Kingdom

Breaking house rules

Hello!!

Iam new to hosting and I have my first guest who has already broken the rules. First she turned up a day early and said she made a mistake on bookung the airbnb to coincide with her flights. I amended her check in/check out dates. I have listed the whole house which sleeps 6 with 3 bedrooms. on booking she indicated that she is booking for her +4adults which was fine. But she turned up with 4adults and 4 children and said some of the people are not staying they are relatives who came to pick her from the airport and they are going.

I have indicated in my listing that the guest cannot bring visitors to the house. 

Please help, 

1 Best Answer
Kezneth0
Level 3
Bradford, United Kingdom

Your article has helped me to understand a lot about the house rules. Thank you. I was one of those people who assume that guests have the same understanding on things as I do.

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35

Hi roberta! I just canclled my first guest after about 6 years of air bnb ing 🙂 it was a REALLY BAD experieence where i was bullied into her staying one night extra for examlpe. you tll me they dix for the host and I agree, i got good support from air bnb after they called her and i also texted her, the problem i find very strange maybe you know wthen like your guest from what i saw or mine (that was removed by air bnb without any penalty). Now i had to ask for refund of the last night, witch i gave her to get her to leave. Air bnb wont help me until  I file a case , witch i am now doing but my issue is i really dont understand it looks like she (the throuwn out guest) still can write a review? I find that insane! who would write a good review if you trash someones place. she left it unlocked too and still i went to leav her some clothes. hopefully she understands, for me i feel I dont even want to make a reciew of her since i never came across this. sure i got one or two wierd but i hav 41 guests in totalt, who were all positive to me. So do you know, how do i process if she can write ttrash on my site that i absolutely dont want there? 

all the best! and going to try to remember the 41 nice guests I had these years but i need a breather.... 

Caroline

Write a bad review about them and what they did and then nobody will except them in there home.

House rules need to be stated clearly in your write up. At least 5 most important hhighlights.

Than once when they book another page of house rules are send to them to read. 

Before you hit accept. Ask them to make sure they read the house rule you are particular with. 

If they break the rules they are out on the streets. You got to be firm and loving. 

Tarka0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I am also seeking help. 

My guests have really made themselves at home & have helped themselves to all sorts including a pot of jam a friend made for me, products purchased in France which I can't replace unless I go to France. They have now helped themselves to appliances not lists as available & now the iron is broken and they said it just went pop

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Tarka0

Have you talked to them about boundaries and what's included, what not? Something a lot of newbie hosts do is watch horrified and wide-eyed at guests taking over their home, but never ever say Hey guys, glad you're feeling at home. Let me specify though, what's mine and not shared and what you may actually use.....

Specify while giving the tour, put your things away less accessible, put up little signs (I didn't want them either at the beginning...), talk, explain, remind.

Never ever let your territory be annexed by anybody. If you don't **bleep** things in the bud when or right after they happen, they won't go away, and some people have incredible doormat-sniffing-out talents they push until they meet resistance.

Tarka0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thank you so much. 

Lesson learnt. I had not printed out house rules (other guest who seems happy, and experienced Guest slightly put me off). Anyway, have emailed via Airbnb & via text. He replied & said it won't happen again so all good. 

Katherine132
Level 2
Lambourn, United Kingdom

Hello!

My guests have made themselves right at home... more than I had offered.  I advertised the kitchen / diner photo with the caption "continental breakfast", but they've put food in my fridge, left their food on my work surface, and are perfectly happy sitting downstairs in the evenings.  (My home is open plan, so it's very intrusive.)

When they arrived they asked "would it be all right to eat in some evenings", and I was caught so off-guard I just said "we can probably work something out".  But they have bought a takeaway home every evening! 

I have left tea and coffee-making facilities on the kitchen island, everything they could possibly need for tea and coffee, but I've realised they're digging in my cupboards for plates, and chopping boards, to make packed lunches or to cut a lemon, say.

I've changed my listing (while they're still staying with me) to remove all ambiguity, ie so that it's clear the downstairs is only vailable for breakfast, and next time I'll put a kettle and wotnot in the guest room ... but in the meantime I'm grinding my teeth. 

None of this is too major, but I do rather feel they've taken advantage!  I've looked at their reviews but no one else has commented.  Am I being too sensitive???

Ohmygod, they're now using my oven.  Someone please come round and shoot them!

@Katherine132 Well I have a rifle and used to live in Great Shefford but think I would have trouble clearing Customs with it. Otherwise would be happy to oblige.

The listing conditions that you had when they booked are the ones that apply and you said you have changed things, the GBP20 charge looks odd, probably a better way of doing things.

How long are they staying? We all do things trying to be reasonable and then reality sets in, sometimes best to suck it up and treat it as a lesson learned.

David

@Katherine132

Sounds like your boundaries were formulated too vaguely.

As a host nothing happens automatically. Well, with a few guests it does, but so many need clear specs.

Either you wait it out till the reservation is over, or you talk to them - hey guys, my bad, but I need to clarify blablblbla...

Hopefully, you're not one of the newbie hosts who grabbed a 4 month booking ...  😮

You can tighten up your listing description, but even that won't solve the problem 100%. You'll really need to layout what's okay, expected, and what's not included, and do this face to face when you're giving them the tour. When a guest goes overboard, kindly but firmly redefine the boundaries. 

'We can work something out' is unclear and doesn't mean much in hosting land.

Good luck with your big girl pants!

@Katherine132  I can totally relate to what you are experiencing.  When I first started with my shared home listing, I had a gentleman stay 2 weeks and I nearly ripped my hair out.  Mind you, it was really my growth and tolerance that needed to be addressed, but I also made some changes in how I expect for the shared space to be used.  I agree with @David126 (not about the shotgun...) in that you will just have to grin and bear it.  Then when you have a chance, further rewrite your listing rules and description.  Good luck and promise yourself a lovely glass of wine after they leave.

Paul453
Level 2
Dunvegan, United Kingdom

Hello Katherine,

I have only been doing Air B and B four months now and I have had guests every night.

All of them have been decent folks, and I have found the French especially civilised and helpful.

However, I had one "guest" from Hell who did all that you have described and more. This one bad

apple just had a "help himself" attitude. As well as the broken house rules he took electrical heating

appliances from upstairs to put downstairs, where they too would sit in all day, oozing entilement.

The most dangerous thing was when I found tea lights on paper-back books, complete with scorched

brown circle beneath...I went on the Air B and B community centre forum and a very helpful lady advised

me to get off instant bookings, because you have no control or ability to check who is coming in.

I took this advise, but also, if I ever was confronted with such a selfish, ill-mannered lout again I would

simply ask them to leave and give them a 75% refund. When folk forget that it is actually your home they

are staying in and behave like boorish children, then it is down to us to ask them to leave. Look at it this

way, is it worth the money to be so messed around with?

Katherine132
Level 2
Lambourn, United Kingdom

Thank you everyone, how wonderful to have such speedy and helpful comments! 

Yes I've tightened up my listing and in the meantime I'm being lenient given that they read the original details.  We did have a talk about boundaries (probably not as well-articulated as you Andrea, but enough to get the message across).  It's made some difference, but only limited!  

They're not malicious I don't think, just completely oblivious.  A learning experience for me definitely!

@Katherine132

So rifle not needed?

David

I couldn't have trusted myself with the rifle.  Within hours of "re-discussing" the ground rules, they were going into cupboards, making packed lunch, using my clingfilm, hanging washing on the line... 

They left the place clean and undamaged, so they're well-intentioned I think, but it's definitely a case of "only hearing what they want to hear" when it comes to house rules. 

Thank goodness goodness they've gone.  As Paul says (and his guests sound way worse than mine), you have to decide for yourself whether the money is compensation enough for the frustration.