Broken Bed

Erica1225
Level 2
Woodland, CA

Broken Bed

Hello,

I've had 6 stays so far (new to Airbnb) and just had my first less-than-stellar guest experience. The group only checked in for one night but managed to break my bed frame (see image below) - luckily my cleaning person is going to be able to fix it, but I'm wondering about requesting money for the fix. Should I wait until they write a review (if they choose to do so) before requesting money? I'm afraid of getting a bad review if I ask too soon.

The guests also left candles burning and left the kitchen an absolute mess. I have already written their review but haven't received one yet. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Erica

bed.jpeg

16 Replies 16

@Erica1225  Guests who leave behind a messy kitchen and lit candles are definitely undesirable, so I hope your review touched on the cleanliness and safety issues. But I can't recommend pursuing a claim for snapped bed slats. There's usually no way to be certain that the breakage was truly the result of misuse of the furniture, rather than normal pressure on a flaw or fracture that already existed before the stay - even if the frame was brand new. 

If your cleaner is able to supply an invoice showing the specific amount above the scheduled cleaning that needed to be done, you might bundle the bed repair in with those hours for a Resolution request for excess cleaning. Success in that is far from guaranteed, though - you'd have a stronger case if your House Rules disclosed the extent of cleaning that was expected of guests before checkout.

Thank you @Anonymous - this is helpful! It sounds like I should just leave an honest review and reinforce the bed frame.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Erica1225  I'm sorry you had disrespectful guests. But that is a very flimsy looking bed frame, I hate to tell you, that was never going to stand up to multiple guests over time. The slats are too narrow and too far apart and the wooden lip they are sitting on is too narrow. 

Fine if all your guests are petite, 100 lb., dainty women, but that won't the case.

Fair enough! Yes, when I put the bed together I was concerned about the frame. I will work on reinforcing it and adding a layer of wood plus additional supports. Thanks!

@Erica1225  If you are going to go to that much trouble, I wouldn't try to reinforce what is there. I would forget all those skinny slats, buy some wood that is about 6" wide, use at least a one and a half inch wide supporting strip on the inside of the frame, and only leave a few  inches between the slats. That's what my bed frames are like, and I've never had one break.

If replacing with flat wood like @Sarah977 has suggested, consider drilling a few holes into it, to assist with breathability and air flow. 💐

@Cathie19  I wasn't suggesting a piece of plywood at all. There definitely needs to be breathability. I was suggesting the same slat design, but with wider slats and smaller spaces between them. 

Totally, but the holes were merely a suggestion if she chose a flat piece of wood. Especially as I’m in the tropics. 😁

@Cathie19  Some people here in Mexico have built-in concrete beds. I always thought that was a terrible idea- the underside of the mattress must get really funky.

You’re not wrong @Sarah977! Ewwww…… 😱

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Erica1225 

This kind of bed base is very vulnerable for damage.Sooner or later it will happen again.

The supporting part in the middle will collapse easily, then the slats bow and detach from their fixation.

It is not "guest proof" ;>)

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Erica1225, your bed does need reinforcing to be suitable for a variety of body weights. 
As mentioned by @Anonymous, improve your house rules for checkout requirements.  Make sure they are in the listing details and in your welcome folder. Can also be sent with a reminder before checkout. ( less practical when only an overnight stay)

But to be honest, the negligence of leaving candles alight is paramount.

A kitchen can be cleaned, a bed can be repaired, BUT a place burning down is more the concern from this negligent action. I would NOT be recommending anyone who was that clueless or disrespectful about someone’s property or its  safety.

For my insurance a few years ago, I changed out all nice smelling real candles for battery (NEVER button sized) operated candles. I also add some LED warm white little fairy lights in the space for extra ambiance, if they are wanted. These can also be used as night lights for kids.  I also placed the matches for the barbecue in a container not so easy for kids to open, in a cupboard that’s up high.

Yes, I totally agree. I am already planning to switch out those candles with battery operated ones. Those weren't meant to be lit and I mention in my welcome packet that they are meant to be decorative - ah well. Live and learn!

@Erica1225  Purely decorative items are best not to have in an Airbnb. We all want to make our places attractive, but guests will use whatever they find. They'll use a nice little decorative glass bowl for an ashtray and stuff like that.