Brussels legislation

Ilse4
Level 1
Brussels, Belgium

Brussels legislation

Dear Airbnb-ers from Brussels,

I read in the news paper a couple of weeks ago that there are new rules for renting out in Brussels. The article also said that Airbnb would organise an evening to explain the new rules. Did someone hear about this? Has anyone already made the change? I don't think I will get a permission of the 60 co-owners, so I guess, this will be the end of my airbnb-life. Still, I would like to know how it would be possible.

All the best,

Ilse

38 Replies 38

Could anyone be of help regarding how I go about getting permission to rent out my apartment on Air BnB? 

Thanks !

Chris-J-0
Level 1
Brussels, Belgium

We received the notification when abroad (in fact didn't receive because the letter was no longer available at the BPOST)

Second notification came in saying we didn't answer to the previous one (Sherlock!) and that we have to deliver 3 certificates and then continue with the application. We called them and explained the situation, took the listing offline.

Today we've received our 3rd letter where they point at the law, mentioning again that despite notification we continued running the Airbnb (NOTIFICATION WE DIDN'T RECEIVE) asking to deliver "defenses" before X date blahblah and the possibility to take a lawyer. LOL

I'll be calling them tomorrow, again - in our last call we agreed that everything is alright as long as the listing stays offline. One word: MAFIA.

Sherry142
Level 1
Hong Kong

Hi Chris J,

Can I ask what happened afterwards when you received the 3rd letter? Alternatively, I guess one can still use Airbnb for listing but indicate min 3 months? In that way, there is no law violation but of course, a different clientele and I hope short term renters (3 months - 6 months) will also use Airbnb to search for their temporary nest in Brussels. 

Triin8
Level 2
Brussels, Belgium

Hi, did you find a solution? Our co-proprieté voted down Airbnb immediately (once the law was passed). Old ladies who can’t event pronounce the word ! I don’t think there is any way to revert it, so no possibility to do Airbnb. The syndic is spying after me online and I can’t protect my account. When will this terrible Brussels law come to an end ?

So to recap: you need tons of permissions to ask (building co-owner, electricity, etc) and you pay extra taxes on the income.

Is this permission process the same for short, room rentals (up to 10 days a year). Or there is some distinguish between types of the renals?

Thanks for your help!

Thupten1
Level 2
Sittard, Netherlands

Hi,

My girlfriend wants to start hosting airbnb guest in her house. She has a very nice apartment (two rooms with a kitchen, toilet and bathroom) in the top floor of her house that is barely being used. She bought the house about two years ago on mortgage.  We would like to starting hosting airbnb guest in that apartment but we do not know rules and regulations for hosting in brussels. Can someone please guide us through the regulations and also procedures to become a legal host in brussels? Please let me know if there are any help centres or website where we can get more information. Thank you. 

Thupten Palden
Kris57
Level 2
Brussels, Belgium

hey I happened to see your question bcs I'll start to rent out (again) soon as well. so, I quickly googled it for you 😉 here you have the rules: http://werk-economie-emploi.brussels/en/declaration-hebergement-touristique

so, one of the things that you need to have the ok of all your co-owners. 

cheers

Bart248
Level 2
Brussels, Belgium

Hi,

Anyone here who's successfully navigated the permit procedure and would be open to a chat? 

I'm specifically looking on some help with regards to the rental contract. It is stated that once you started exploitation you need to have a signed agreement for each stay. 

Anyone has a template to share? 

Thanks,
Bart

Milos69
Level 1
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi Elena,

I see you're most involved into pulling info regarding this topic.

I'm new to AirBnb hosting in Brussels and I'm also very keen to find out the rules before it's too late.

People are mentioning paperwork and taxes. The taxes story is more or less clear to me, I've already contacted my accountant to see how I need to fill in taxes for this year, but I'm not sure what kind of paperwork do we need to have?

I'm about to rent an entire studio in a building. Do I need a fire permit and how do I get one if so, permit from the owners in the building (which will be impossible to get I think), anything else?

Thanks everyone for joining this discussion.