Bugs...grasshoppers

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

Bugs...grasshoppers

We accepted six men to stay in our little house on the river.  They wanted a bond fire for the evening.  As we are on the river and it is an end house with no neighbours to the far side of property, I did not see a problem.  There is (was) an 8x10' wooden slat pad for a trailer at the end of the driveway (separated by a fence).  The guys asked about needing firewood.  As my husband is in construction, we said we would supplly some scrap lumber and not to touch the trees.  I apologized for the wooden pad and said it was going to be removed soon and that they  should not set the fire too close to that area.  The next day after their outdoor party, the pad was gone!  They burned it when they ran out of wood.  It was old and the wood starting to go punky.  I wasnt going to get to upset however they did not have permission to use it as firewood.  In the meanwhile, and now five days later, its like walking into a popcorn machine with crickets springing off the walls and floor in the basement   That is where we do the laundry.  I have guests arriving tonight and in a panic.  I have molassas in trap jars everywhere and a call to the exterminator...before the guests arrive.

We were waiting for the exterminator to treat the wood before removal anticipating a movement of ants but didnt expect the grasshoppers to be the issue.  With all the rain this year and the river flooding parts of our community, it is inevitable for some issues...but the timing is always wrong.  ...and how do they get into the house.  Did the guests bring in the eggs while sitting around the fire with my brand new blankets (that were fire burned btw)

Has anyone had this problem?  FYI...living by the river has its issues.  ...and the internet suggests I get a lizzard or snake.  Like thats going to happen.

4 Replies 4
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

hard times

@Judy29 - you've learned a valuable lesson here - if you aren't set up for bonfires (or insured for them!), don't let guests talk you into having them.  Firepits and and outdoor fireplaces that are set up for specific use are tough enough but an open bonfire could really result in trouble, and in this case, that after a few glasses of bourbon, any old wood will do to burn.  I'm sorry this happened to you and hopefully you've taken lots of pictures of the burned linens and asked the guest for reimbursement.  

And I'm not sure how the bonfire and grasshoppers are related, perhaps they are not, but if the bugs are inside the cabin, I'd be inclined to cancel any additional reservations until it's cleared up.  This might fall under the Extenuating Circumstances Policy but you'll have to talk to someone at Airbnb to be sure.  

fyi grasshoppers breed in the punky wood and that is how trailer pad is connted.  The grasshoppers where no where to be found the next day anywhere in or out of the cottage.  I was so sure it would create a huge problem.  They just disappears.  I did vacuum three times just to make sure and that is what an exterminator told me to do.  Problem solved.  

I like your suggest to just "SAY NO".  We had a bachelorette party with six young women this weekend.  They too wanted the bond fire and we supplied fire wood.  But they saw a snake and then never came out of the house the rest of the weekend. lol

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Good story @Judy29