Bullying / blackmailing to get payment

Charlotte504
Level 1
Worcester, GB

Bullying / blackmailing to get payment

Hi, I really need help / advice. 

I had guests due to leave Sunday coming 29th March 2020.

I offered them to go home Monday 23rd with refund for nights after lock-down instruction.  They didn't want to go.

They had 2 poorly behaved dogs, but I had not said anything about damage in the garden - holes dug, because apparently female had just finished chemo.  Didn't want to rock the boat. Dogs were OK themselves but bored as just chucked out in the garden.

Tuesday - the couple left dogs alone in the lodge - 2nd time - they did it Sunday - left outside.  Inside - one dog got through a window and out, other went mad and pulled down curtains.  I phoned the couple to get dogs and said any more of that and I'd have to ask them to leave.

They then said they would go if I paid refund to them.  I said they were probably stressed re corona and agreed.  When they left I discovered the extent of damage and house rule non-observance.  Dogs on tables (muddy paw prints), scratches, chewed table leg, plants dug up entirely, holes - 10 - 15 - needs topsoil and re-turf, muddy blankets and bedding.  I added up cost of sorting out to £170 so withheld that amount and paid remaining £170 direct as per request.

They cancelled on Airbnb which means they get more££ - I didn't know about refunds even after stay has started, so he's due ££ from that and  he has also demanded £340 via resolution.  And now he's slandering me in social media and papers.  Don't know where to turn.

2 Replies 2

@Charlotte504  I am so sorry to hear about this stressful situation and these utterly horrible guests. And unfortunately, it appears that you have been badly scammed.

First red flag is that the guest demanded their refund via direct debit. Please, never ever do this! As far as Airbnb is concerned, transacations that occur outside of their platform never happened. You didn't "withhold" £170 from the guest, but rather they extorted £170 from you.

You can and should refuse their resolution request. And while you can still attempt your own resolution request for the dog damage, it's probably a lost cause. The guests are clearly playing dirty, and Airbnb's Host Guarantee explicitly doesn't cover pet-related damage. Unless pet-friendliness is a core selling feature for you, I would strongly reconsider allowing pets for future Airbnb bookings.

Under normal circumstances, I'd advise getting Airbnb on the phone to guide you through the process of completing the booking termination and getting the guests' foul behavior on the record. But due to the Covid crisis, it's currently easier to get the Queen herself on the phone than an Airbnb agent. But with the expectation that you might not receive direct assistance prior to the 29th, the best thing you can do is get a summary of what has transpired in both the message thread with the guest and in an a message accompanying your Decline of their outrageous request. Be sure to state in both that you yielded to the guest's threats (yes, the harsh language is justified) and transferred money outside of Airbnb against your better judgment. Also, be prepared to submit all the receipts you have related to the physical damage.

I don't know what to say about the guest's posts in social media, and don't quite understand what you mean about the "papers" (have your name been printed in a local news article about this dispute?)  If British libel laws apply here, I guess you'd have to start by consulting a lawyer.

Thank you Andrew for taking the time to respond.  I was lucky enough to get to speak to Airbnb who were sympathetic if not very helpful.  We are with the Resolution Centre which I assume will kick in after tomorrow when the 72 hours are up after his request for more money.  Airbnb have records of every text and phone call to me and every message.  They have all the photos and screen shots too.  Apparently it did get escalated as he was trying to blackmail me.

Thanks again.  Charlotte