CITQ CERTIFCATION AND MUNICIPALITY GIVING HOSTS A HARD TIME WITH 'ZONING" APPROVAL

Nancy366
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

CITQ CERTIFCATION AND MUNICIPALITY GIVING HOSTS A HARD TIME WITH 'ZONING" APPROVAL

Hi Guys,

Need some advice from other hosts on this new quebec law for citq certification. My husband and I own a cottage in Val Des Monts and our municipality is giving us a hard time with our "zoning". They told us we're not allowed to be a tourist accommodation according to our zoning. We requested to submit a "rezoning" application and they were hesitant to even allow us to go that route. It's like a dead end no matter how hard we try to get citq certification. We purchased our cottage with the intention to rent it out part time to make it more affordable. It's so frustrating as we're trying so hard to get the certification to be  a "legal" accommodation but it seems like the municipality and citq don't want to give it to us. We finally got them to allow us to submit our rezoning application which costs $1200 and they said it would take up to a year to get this this process completed and we may not get our full money back if its declined. When we asked what requirements we need or what their rezoning approval is based on, we got radio silence from the municipality. The whole thing seems so unfair and honestly I'm wondering if I need to get legal advice at this point. We really don't want this to become such a financial burden that we need to sell our beloved property. Anyone in Val des monts or nearby have a similar experience?? I will pay whatever fees they want me to pay but I just need confirmation that this process will eventually lead us to CITQ certification. 

11 Replies 11
Cory158
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Hi there - Did you ever get any resolution to this issue? I see a few val des monts properties on AirBnB showing CITQ numbers but not many. 

unfortunately not. The val des monts municipality is a nightmare to deal with. It seems their citq approvals is based on their outdated zoning parameters and rules. We literally have been back and forth with the municipality for two years now on this! 

Grace765
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

There is a new bill call bill 67 for March 2023 that will allow short term rentals for primary residences regardless of municipal rules.  Now the trick is to make your cottage a primary residence on paper. Apparently spouses can have different primary addresses. It's worth looking into.

this sounds amazing, where can I read more about it?

That is very interesting. I guess however if you are from Ontario that would involve one spouse giving switching to Quebec health coverage, paying Quebec income taxes and switching drivers licensees. Would that be the case? 

Yes, unfortunately. 

Meghan213
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Hi all,
My partner and I would like to rent out our primary residence in Val-des-Monts, as we are temporarily moving to another city, but I'm having a hard time finding information from the municipality. From what I've gathered, you need to register your establishment with CTIQ and show your registration number on your Airbnb listing (though most listings I see in the area don't show this number), and get a business license. Can anyone else share their experience? Thank you!!
-Meghan

You first need to obtain a Notice of Complaiance from the Municipality of Val-des-Monts. That needs to be uploaded when you apply for your CITQ license. 

Jennifer4416
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

I am dealing with a similar zoning issue for my secondary dwelling in Val-des-Monts. My property meets all of the new Quebec requirements in terms of size of lot, distance from property line, etc. After being told the property was eligible under the new regulations,  the Municipality later came back to me and saidf they had made a mistake and that I am not eligible due to the zoning in my neighborhood. I am in a neighborhood called La Seigneurie in Perkins, near the Rona. I'm so annoyed. 

If enough of us got together, we could seek legal advice as a group. The Municipality has not been helpful at all. They don't seem to realize that they exist to serve the community that pays their salaries. They offer more and more blockers and no solutions. 

Has anybody had any luck with this? I just got my notice of compliance requst denied too.  I like your idea about teaming up @Jennifer4416, it all seems so silly. 

Has anybody contacted the media about this?  Sounds like a the kind of thing that would get alot of clicks.