COVID-19 (coronavirus) CLEANING FOR HOSTS

Pam1369
Level 2
Canton, MI

COVID-19 (coronavirus) CLEANING FOR HOSTS

I've gone on CDC and WHO websites but can't find a good answer. Looking for a good antibacterial cleaner we can use in our cottages once things pick up so guests feel comfortable. Also, the wood playscape. 

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Cleaners with bleach, hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol will do the job.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Pam1369 Just a point of clarification, antibacterial and antiviral are not the same thing. And soap will also do the job.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Almost all cleaners these days say they clean 99.9% of bacteria, so I would think that is fine.  You should also probably wait 3 days between cleanings since this is, I think, the most recent estimate of how long the virus can live.  That is assuming you are still going to have guests in the next 2 months.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Mark116 , it depends on material. Longest is on some metals, think 5 days  except coppar, that is shorter. Cardboard maybe 2. So it varies, but 3 is not enough to be safe.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

That is from March 11, have read more recent studies detailing various material. It's longer, according to that study.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pam1369 @Mark116  As Lisa pointed out, antibacterials do not kill viruses, they kill bacteria. 

And hydrogen peroxide doesn't do the job, either. Alcohol (70%) and bleach are the recommended applications. First wash with soap, let dry, then clean with one of those.

Lynne68
Level 2
Bethesda, MD

All effective cleaning products including plain bleach are not available in my area or on line. All sold out.