COVID-19

COVID-19

Am I the only one who feels Airbnb's policy for COVID-19 is 'out of date' and not reflective of advice around the world? The policy or page, was updated on the 1st May and the policy only allows cancellations (full refunds including fees) up to 1st June. Customers need to make big decisions and change plans accordingly due to the unknown circumstances surrounding COVID-19, and their policy not only currently limits/restricts their customers, but also penalises them for cancellations.

We had a trip booked to Queenstown, New Zealand beginning mid July (not really far away). We sent a cancellation request to our host (who has been great), she approved a full refund but the service fee was withheld by Airbnb. I understand our trip is outside of the policy, as the policy is only valid until 1st June (3 weeks away). However, 3 out of the 4 airlines who operate in Queenstown allow cancellation up to June 30 and the 4th allows cancellation up to September 30. Their policy does not align with this destination and probably many others.

Even if the policy is reviewed and the date is pushed past 1st June, service fees will not be refunded to those who cancelled prior. Given the circumstances, I find this to be very poor form from Airbnb and may be detrimental to their brand, as no doubt I'm not the only one and many users won't return.

1 Reply 1
Toby107
Level 1
Sydney, Australia

I'm in the same boat. I was meant to be travelling from Australia to France in mid July. Once the Government closed the boarders I cancelled as per the extenuating circumstance policy which I read at the time of my booking saying travel bans result in refund. I needed the money after people I was travelling with lost their job. Despite both Airbnb and my host agreeing we would not be able to travel they still wouldn't give me a refund. I think Airbnb is just trying to keep money in it's pocket for as long as possible. No compassion. 

I spend thousands of dollars each year using Airbnb for work. I cant say I will be using the service after this again unless they can get their act together. It really doesn't make sense business wise as everyone loses money from this in the long term. I'm shocked at their lack of loyalty to their customers.