COVID Extenuating Circumstance

Answered!
Dave950
Level 2
United States

COVID Extenuating Circumstance

Hello,

We are in MA and in June booked a one night stay in RI near the beach for late August. A couple weeks ago MA issued a travel ban for RI, effectively restricting our plans so we cancelled. The host has a strict policy, but we cancelled before cutoff so we got a 50% refund. Within a few days of canceling we notice the place is booked again. Host said they had to give discount to rebook the place. They've included their telephone number in the profile (obscured) so prospective guests can contact them directly off the platform.

Is a full refund covered under EC policy? Or is this up to the ethics of the host?

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dave950 Its up to the host. Many would refund if they are able to re let the property but they don't have to. 

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dave950 Its up to the host. Many would refund if they are able to re let the property but they don't have to. 

Hey, thank you for that info!

Host told us Airbnb is going to request a refund from them, which they would decline, then Airbnb have the opportunity to refund it. They said just hammer “Covid”.

But based on your response, it sounds like that's not the process. I try to give the benefit of the doubt, but it sounds like they're deflecting by blaming on Airbnb.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Dave950,

It's a bummer that your travel plans have to be altered.  Was there a reason you chose to book a stay at a place with a strict cancellation policy although it's been widely publicized that the pandemic will be around for quite some time, and that states and municipalities may invoke travel restrictions if there are COVID spikes?  

yes, we do an annual trip with a group of friends and instead of canceling altogether we decided on a "staycation" to help our local economy.

Is there a reason you chose to live in a part of the world that is known to get slammed by hurricanes every year?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Dave950,

There is no listing exclusivity agreement between hosts and Airbnb, and there numerous sources for reservations.  Hosts may have there rentals posted on several platforms.  Such as Booking.com, Expedia.com, Vrbo, Flipkey, and hosts have their own websites, Google sites and Facebook merchant pages.  A host would be in breach of Airbnb's T&C if a guest contacts a host on Airbnb, and the subsequent reservation is made elsewhere.  

BTW, I have home owner's insurance for my properties.  If I had a claim, I'd pay my deductible as prescribed in my policies.  I wouldn't try to tell my insurers to grant me a waiver, because I thought there wouldn't be a storm this month.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2799/airbnbs-offplatform-policy

I suggest reading it, as a violation could end up in account suspension. If you have any questions, just give Airbnb a call I'm sure they will be able to help you.

...and in a hypothetical insurance claim, one wouldn't claim a higher value than for what was damaged because that would be fraud.

Which leads us back to my main question, why does the host need 50% from my reservation if they are repaired by a new guest booking within days of cancellation?

Ah, the contract... so it is up to the host. Answer accepted.

@Dave950 Having to deal with you sounds like rather tedious work, so by all means there should be some compensation for it.

It is this contempt for guests that will rot this platform to the core.

Let me remind you, the number one need for any business is a customer.

I don't speak for the platform. But as far as I'm concerned, a customer who refuses to accept the terms of an agreement that they voluntarily entered into is not preferable to no customer at all. That "customer is king" mentality might work out for you at McDonald's, but it doesn't play well when someone is entrusting a stranger with a house. Mutual respect for the contract is the very essence of such an arrangement, no matter how sarcastic you want to act about it. 

Contempt for binding agreements will make this platform every bit as untenable as a dearth of customers.

@Dave950  Bookings made after March 14 are not eligible for exemptions from the host's cancellation policy, as the assumption is that you placed the booking with full awareness that the pandemic might affect your travel plans. One great way to help your local economy would be to take some responsibility for the risks that you willfully accepted, rather than expecting them to be absorbed by service providers whose cancellation policies you'd prefer didn't apply to you.

Your mention of ethics is misguided here. The host has an ethical obligation to uphold the terms of your contract, under which you were entitled to a 50% refund. If you believe you deserve a different outcome, please check the cancellation policy carefully the next time you book.

ok, so use the contracts when you're keeping someone's money, but don't use contracts when you want to secretly take reservations off-platform, makes sense. thanks

Kel9
Level 2
Chicago, IL

air bnb did the same to us - using corporate covid loopholes to evade the extenuating circumstances policy  about a government mandated travel ban in chicago.  customer service has been sliding down the toilet for the past 3 years.  I avoid air bnb unless i have no choice now.