COVID Extenuating Circumstance

Answered!
Dave950
Level 2
United States

COVID Extenuating Circumstance

Hello,

We are in MA and in June booked a one night stay in RI near the beach for late August. A couple weeks ago MA issued a travel ban for RI, effectively restricting our plans so we cancelled. The host has a strict policy, but we cancelled before cutoff so we got a 50% refund. Within a few days of canceling we notice the place is booked again. Host said they had to give discount to rebook the place. They've included their telephone number in the profile (obscured) so prospective guests can contact them directly off the platform.

Is a full refund covered under EC policy? Or is this up to the ethics of the host?

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dave950 Its up to the host. Many would refund if they are able to re let the property but they don't have to. 

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Narelle18
Level 1
Geelong, Australia

I also cancelled due to covid lockdowns,  the host has refused to give us a full refund yet he has rebooked the property for the dates when we were going to travel.  I missed his( not airbnb's cut off ) time by 4 hours so have lost over $700 to this greedy host. Airbnb won't do anything about it.  Extenuating circumstances should be in place every time there is a lockdown,  if it was ok to get a full refund last year during lockdown then why is not not ok now. 

Nusa-Club0
Level 2
Bali, Indonesia

Airbnb just confirmed today that if my guests cancels their stay, anytime prior to arrival due to  testing positive to covid, regardless of hosts policy they can cancel with full refund under EC.