COVID Extenuating Cuircumstances

Fiona682
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

COVID Extenuating Cuircumstances

Total confusion on refund of customers under COVID LOCK DOWN compliance in Australian State of Victoria.

The State of Victoria is still in a declared State of Emergency due to COVID and is opertaing under Govt health directions and lock downs.

The State of Victoria, Australia, is in continuing lockdowns ...some 230 days so far...yet each time we have a customer wanting a cancellation due to Govt directed health orders the customer is advised by Air BNB that the Host must cancel bookings.

We are then advised by AirBNB that COVID is a known risk and and is no longer an extenuating risk, and if cancelled it will impact our Host rating. This is unfair and wrong to loyal hosts. We  are not the Govt of Victoria and the people/businesses of the State are required to follow State health directions in lockdown or receive a substantial non compliance fine per offence.

After endless dialogue we are then advsied by AirBNB, as the host, we need to provide evidence of each cancellation that the Govt COVID lock down applies??? This information is published and updated by the State on their Web site.

Clearly the AirBNB platform, were the transaction takes place between AirBNB and the customer is not compliant for each Australian State, reflecting Govt health directions re travel and accommodation in COVID lock down.

The process is diven by the host?...this makes no sence when the transaction is between AirBNB and the customer on the platform administed by AirBNB. The system needs to be corrected as it creates a lot of confussion, stress and tention. It also does not reflect well on the brand when all the customer is doing is complying with State Govt health directions and regulations under COVID.

2 Replies 2
Helen506
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

I totally agree. I run high end accommodation that is not cheap but is amazing. 
I have a strict cancellation policy in place because if someone cancels 2 weeks before Christmas in my biggest week it could be very difficult to refill due to the level and cost would not suit everyone. 
I don’t want my guests to be able to cancel just because they feel like it… I do in the other hand believe that they should be able to cancel if we have government enforcement of lockdown preventing them from travel.  They should be able to cancel and receive a full refund. At this stage if I cancel it affects my super host rating which I have worked hard for and takes a year to regain which can affect future booking. 
AIRBNB need to include COVID 19 into the normal extenuating circumstancing events. Or do AIRBNB believe that it’s ok for all the  AIRBNB guests and hosts to loose out? Are they encouraging guests and hosts to ignore the law?  AIRBNB this needs to be rectified 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Helen506 @Fiona682 We had a Dutchman who didn't want to travel due to The Netherlands recommending against all but essential travel to the UK. Airbnb refunded him 50% per the Strict cancellation policy and then we were able to refund a further 50% with Airbnb refunding their fees. It was a bit of a palaver but between ourselves and the guest we got there in the end.