COVID & Cancellation

O-2
Level 1
Westfield, United Kingdom

COVID & Cancellation

Hi All, 

I need your opinion please. 

I'm a host in the UK and have been for the last 7-8 years now. I have a strict cancellation policy but have refunded my guests in full in the past if they have to cancel for whatever reason but give me enough time to re-let the place. 

Last week, a guest (who only recently has booked for 3 nights) cancelled the booking less than 24 hours before the check-in time. They said that they were told to self-isolate (but do NOT have Covid-19) and wanted a full refund. I said that as it's less than 24 hours and it was unlikely that I was going to get another booking at that point. So I asked my guest if they would be happy for me to charge them 1 night and refund the rest. However, if somehow I were to get another booking, I'll refund them in full. 

Next thing I know Airbnb Community Support emailed me to say...

"This is ... from Airbnb Team, I'm a Senior Case Manager here. I hope this email finds you well.

I’m writing on behalf of your guest ......, for reservation ........... who will be unable to complete their reservation with you.

After reviewing their case, we can confirm that ..... has submitted valid documentation that verifies that they cannot travel due to reasons that qualify under this policy. We have cleared your calendar for these dates, and refunded your guest in full."

I have no problem at all about the cancellation but is it fair that Airbnb can just cancel a booking on host's behalf and overriding the cancellation policy without consulting the host? 

So I sent this Airbnb Case Manager asking if they can confirmed that they have a copy of the 'valid documentation' and would like to know what kind of 'documentation' it is. I do NOT want a copy but just want to know what type of document it is? A note from a doctor? 

Case Manager has refused to corporate and said the problem is between myself and the guest. 

Do you think this is fair? 

Thank you so much for reading.

O

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@O-2 

"has submitted valid documentation that verifies that they cannot travel due to reasons that qualify under this policy"

Which policy ?

O-2
Level 1

Hi @Emiel1  thanks for your reply. Exactly!!! Which policy? It's now been over a week since I sent them the email asking for explanation. No reply. 

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@O-2 @Yes I believe this is fair. I see many hosts question the documentation required by Airbnb to cancel for Covid reasons. In Canada it is against privacy laws to request this type of information. Employers are not allowed, schools, Airbnb etc. It is against privacy laws to request health information from people. I’m sure you have similar laws protecting citizens in your country from experiencing discrimination. 

O-2
Level 1

Hi @Katrina79  thanks for your reply. Like I said, I do NOT want to see or have a copy of the document. I just want to find out what 'valid documentation' it is that would allow guests to cancel without penalty and Airbnb bypassing host's cancellation policy.