Calendar pricing - Most people are doing it wrong!

Joshua63
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Calendar pricing - Most people are doing it wrong!

I'm an Airbnb Superhost and I'm booked 93% of the month missing out on one or two days.

People that belive that being booked the next 3 months or a full month are mistaken.

If you are not booked at all your prices are too high, if you fully booked then your prices are too low.

The proper formula is 50% within 30 days and 32% within 90 days.

***[Personal advertising hidden]

6 Replies 6
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I couldn't disagree more. Your assumption is that everyone wants high occupancy. In my case I want a very high nightly rate (compared with my competitors). I can double my rate and halve my occupancy which fits well with my lifestyle, wear and tear on the property etc etc..all things are not all equal when you consider the diversity of hosts around the world. 

Are you trying to follow some sort of business graph? I don't want my place to be booked all the time, and the guest that I do accept are well vetted. I'm not interested in having my guest house full all the time. In between bookings I do some renovations. New bathroom tiles are next on the list this spring. I prefer having a full house for short stays rather than long term guests. Every host is different, depending on what they want out of this Airbnb venture.

Joshua,

Your post is rather condescending to other Airbnb hosts... pricing is slightly more complicated than you imply, as there are many confounding factors to consider. 

Due consideration must also be given to wear and tear on the property and fixtures and fittings.  Moreover, the investment of time required to ensure a quality stay can have consequences for the host's quality of life.  Not everyone wants full occupancy, some prefer quality over quantity. 

Furthermore, adding a personal advertisement at the end of the post is rather offensive, this forum is supposed to be about hosts helping each other, not helping ourselves...  😉

Regards,

Miriam.

We are new hosts (approx. 6 mns.).  We are now booked 75% or week-ends.  We have 5 rooms that we are booking.  Our reservations have been building every month since we started.  I enjoy not having guests during the week.

Alot of our bookings on the week-ends are for only one night.  I prefer to have two night bookings.  Any ideas on how to achieve this?  I don't want to lose the booking but would truly prefer to have 2 night stays.  Our area has many festivals during the summer months.  Should (not a good word) I be raising my prices.  I know during Harley festivals eveyone is raising their prices.  I'm undeceided that to do!!!!

You can easily put a two night minimum stay in youe "availability settings".  Go into manage your listings, then availability settings, and there is a spot where you can put a minimum length stay in.  Set it at two night minimum.

Most Hosts set some type of a Minimum. My Property is peak season in the summer & so I set a 3 nite minimum.  Once fall arrives I have fewer chances for volume so I go with just a 2 nite min. But @ a bit higher nitely rate.   It's not worth my efforts Or my Significate other's to be cleaning the entire home for just a few nites stay during the busy season. We don't want to burn out on something that we enjoy sharing with others. We are also just starting up with our Lake home this past July.  I did a great deal of research of other listings  &  resorts in the Area. I noted that almost all of them were not offering anything less than a  week during peak times.  I would suggest trying to research other properties' similar to your own, To get a feel for how they are maintaining their reservations. I also check their Calendars to see how well they're doing with their set Minimum choices. Best of Luck To You, Paula-Beth