California wildfires and cancellations from air quality

Elizabeth2262
Level 2
Nevada City, CA

California wildfires and cancellations from air quality

Hi All!

I’m newer to Airbnb and this is my first fire season for my place in California.

I’m curious what other hosts do in terms of cancellations from poor air quality?

Also, what about the Pgand E outages? Do you inform guests of planned outages and allow last minute cancellation?

Curious to hear the ideas of other hosts and how they navigate these situations! Thanks!

6 Replies 6

I did, it does not specifically address smoke or power outages. Obviously an evacuation is one thing, but these 2 seem like gray areas. 

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Elizabeth2262 The power was  an issue about two years ago but doesn’t seem to be an issue now. The state seems to be holding PGE accountable for the most part. Last year we bought a generator thinking we we’re going to have a repeat of 2019 possible power cuts. Then we only ended up with one PPO notice and the power never went out. I think it’s best to wait. If you get a notice and you have a booking let the guest know. The way I dealt with it two years ago when it was an issue was:

I let the guest know it was a possibility so they could cancel if they wanted. 

If they decided to stay I told them if the power went out I would issue a refund for half. I also made sure they had bottled water and asked them to fill the tub with water to flush the toilet if needed. 

Anyway in 2019 I had two guests stay and experience power outages. But like I said it hasn’t been an issue since. 

Thanks! I like that method to offer a refund if it goes out. It’s true that there were several that didn’t happen, but in 2020 we had probably 10 days of outages here in the foothills. I have a generator so it wasn’t awful, but not sure how guests will feel!

Hello @Elizabeth2262 @Jillian115 @William810 from in Auckland, New Zealand

In relation to power outages, maybe include a piece in your listing, if you don't already, that when there may be power outages it will be like living in the Mining era of old and the Victorian era...add a little original classic charm to the experience...

Besides we are in Terra Charta era...and anythings possible, isn't it?

In all honesty, I don't think those in Telecommunications and Electricity in recent years stopped to think, nor did they think, like those who originally created the systems to be above ground...and they definitely didn't think environmentally friendly in recent years with all the concrete power poles and covering up the soil.

There's more chance of having serious injuries and death with crashing into a concrete power pole than a naturally grown Tree one of old.

Do you have some antique lamps that can be used to light up the property?
Perhaps have some of those scattered around and some historic photos in your property of those eras to help educate those who may not have stopped to think how much we all take for granted.

They are also a good alternative source of lighting and experiencing life in another era.

All the best

@Elizabeth2262 We’re in the foothills too. I guess we got lucky. Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen this year. The first year we were out for several days at a time. 

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Elizabeth2262 Sorry I did not respond to the smoke issue. For poor air quality I let them know in advance. Most guests are aware of the California fires due to News reports so they are fine with it. I sometimes get cancelations. I say "We are getting smoke rom the "Bootleg Fire" I just wanted to make sure you are aware that there is a chance we could have poor air quality during your stay depending on the direction of the wind."  

I have a flexible cancelation policy this will at times hurt me but I would prefer that to the 1 star review. 

I always try to communicate every possible issue so its documented. There seems to be an epidemic of guests requesting and receiving refunds for the slightest issues these days and even worse suspended listings.