Calling your property something its not! Airbnb allow hosts to con you!!!

Barry173
Level 2
Willington, United Kingdom

Calling your property something its not! Airbnb allow hosts to con you!!!

How come you are allowed to called a semi-detached old council house style building a cottage, PLUM CIOTTAGE in Bodelwyddan North Wales to be exact? Thias happened to us recently on a last minute frip to North Wales. We were very unhappy when we arrived.

This was our special trip to wales with our daughter and her friend where we expecting to arrive at a cottage, plum cottage. What we got was not a cottage but a semi-detached/end terrace style building and a pretty ropey one at that. The garden was nothing like the photo, the pictures in the walls were still in their plastic wrapper, the TV was still covered in its plastic cover around the edges, the off street parking was nothing more than a load of slabs thrown into the garden, the curtains did not reach the full length of the windows in the conservatory and the conservatory roof was in a poor state. There was a musty smell downstairs , mostly in the kitchen. All in all, a con and not as prescribed on the Airbnb site. A wasted trip to wales for us and we had to return home. We cannot understand how Airbnb have allowed the host to get away with calling it plum cottage. We never stayed!

I requested a full refund. That was refused than the following day the host offered about 1/3rd of the cost. I complained to Airbnb who said they sympathise but can do nothing. Then the host refdused to pay the refund they said they would. Again, Airbnb said they could do nothing.

Whats going on when you can be treated this way? Just because I am one small person in the millions that use Airbnb globally, it is not right to be treated this way.

9 Replies 9
Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

While I’m not 100% sure what plum means in this context, a cottage should definitely be a detached house. And the garden should look like it did in the listing.

How soon did you request a refund? The sooner the better, as far as Airbnb is concerned. You might try calling again. It does often take a few calls and some pushiness to get them to do what you want.

Have you sent in photos that show the difference between what was in the listing and what you found when you got there?

I doubt they would refund for things like pictures in plastic wrap, tacky as that might be. I do think they are more likely to refund for places that are not as advertised.

What is supposed to  keep both hosts and guests honest is the review system. You should write a review which describes your disappointment with the place. Don’t mention any ongoing case you have open regarding a refund. That can be grounds for the review to be taken down.

Barry173
Level 2

Thanks for comenting. I complained immediately and told the host we were not staying. did not make any difference thogh, they refused to refund, offering a day later a part fefund then a day later refusing to even pay that. Airbnb help help were sympathetic but said nothing they can do. They did not seem to think the "cottage" claim was an issue. I get personal taste is what I'm left with re curtains, and cellophane over TV's and pictures so I exept to get nowhere with this.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry that's not true that a cottage should always be detached.  In the UK, which is where this cottage is, based, a cottage can be detached, semi-detached or terraced. Here cottages can also be former semi-detached or terraced housing which was formerly occupied by railway workers, miners and other workers in Victorian times.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I looked at the listing, the reviews are an average 4* and says basic accommodation at a cheap price.  The curtains don't reach the ground in the pictures either so that should not have been a surprise.

There is all kinds of accommodation on Airbnb, they do not vet who is in and who isn't,  it is only down to reviews. An overall 4 is quite bad, actually. I suggest reading carefully and looking at the listing pictures closely in the future for a more successful stay.

Barry173
Level 2

Thanks for commenting. I guess lesson learned and chekc more in future. It just anoys me that someone can be allowed to dupe people in this way. As it happens we staying in a rather nice B&B on a farm nearby for £50 less and tha tincluded breakfast so the money they were charging was way in excess of what they should. Hey ho. Will think twice in future.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Barry173,

If you think the listing is a fraude, you can report it to airbnb via the "flag" link in it.

I looked at the listing and it has mostly good reviews, allthoug no very recent reviews. So it seems your experience is not matching with some other guests. It is not clear at what time a cancellation is performed (and by who). Normally when you arrive and are not happy with the accomodation, you first contact the host and if problem can not be solved you can contact Airbnb. If complaints are reasonable, Airbnb could cancel en provide full refund. Did you cancel the reservation yourself ?

best regards,

Emiel

Barry173
Level 2

Thanks for commenting. I complained immediately. Made no difference though, refused to refund, then offered a 1/3rd, then later refused to pay that. Airbnb don't want to know, citing prodeures, rules, small print etc etc. Getting nowhere with it. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm sorry you had such a disappointing experience @Barry173 .

If having a detached place was important to you, I would suggest always checking that the property is, as a cottage doesn't necessarily mean a detached property.

Many thousands and thousands of council houses and flats were sold off unfortunately in the UK from the 1980's so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for some Airbnb accommodation here to be former council housing. (But I see you are from the UK so will know this).

Looking at the listing, it does appear quite basic, but has a price that reflects this and issues such are the curtains you mention can be clearly seen along with the basic furnishing.

And of course  the garden is not going to look like a summer's garden in the middle of winter.

If facilities and amenities were missing that were described in the listing, and you notified the host immediately as you say, I am suprised that a partial refund wasn't considered.  Can you give more information on what particular facilities and amenities weren't there ?

Glad you are enjoying your latest trip.

I would say read a listing carefully and look at the reviews and ratings. Stay with long established, superhosts who have five star reviews.

The vast majority of Airbnb's are as described.

Barry173
Level 2

Thanks for commenting. I guess we were drawn in by the name "Plum Cottage" so had expectations. Lesson learned. I like your point about superhosts, will stick to that in the future.