Can Airbnb improve the current review system?

Cz1
Level 2
Malaysia

Hi all,

Can airbnb improve the current review system? or educate every guest for the review system?

Recently get a low reviews rating from a new aribnb user (because their profile registered at Dec 2020) and airbnb send warning email to me about remove my list from the search for 5 days...
I knew no matter how I clarify my effort yet airbnb can't change anything.

To be honest, I don't think all the guest will give relevant review to every homestay.
For the example, some of the guest want the low price and hotel service at the same time.
As usual what airbnb concern is more to guest than our host. 
Do airbnb really understand how reviews going to ruin our effort and hard time?

Accuracy - same as the listing pictures (99.99%) yet, still get 3 or lower stars? How to verify?

Check in - self check in with keypad lock (guest gave 3 stars or lower, we guess they need our host to give welcome hug?)

Cleanliness - swear to the god, we clean as sparkling clean as our home but still get only 3 stars? hmmm...

Communication - reply everything inside the airbnb chat box (within few minutes) but only 3 stars? Airbnb need to improve the chat box? or do we need to contact outside the airbnb?

Location - this is the most ridiculous. Guests always gave low rating because far from town or some destination. But do they really check or read every listing before booking? or they just  want a cheap homestay. In the end complain why your homestay so far away?

Value - wonder how the guest to review "value" and "value" in term of??

Best Regards,
CZ

8 Replies 8
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello  CZ1

Certainly the notification you received was not due to the last review below expectations. It is because one of your listings is rated 4.7. If you go  lower than 4.7 , you are out.

IMO, If you have problems with review, you should either educate your guests on how making an assesment or you have to improve your service and listing description.

Some points to consider:

Accuracy - Your pictues are not ugly, actually they are good in terms of appearance. However it does not give a good comprehension of the space. It seems the bed in on a mezzanine. Take picture with wide angle lens/camera.
Check in/Self Checkin: They do not need a welcome hug, mainly in a pandemic time!!! Maybe they need a better explanation. Nobody wants to book a listing to be forced to play jigsway puzzle to enter 🙂 .
Cleanliness: It is not God who will judge if it is clean or dirty 🙂  It is the guest. If most of the guest think it is dirty, you have a problem. Ask the guests what they found it dirty, where it is dirty. Feedback is the word for this.
Communiction: Certainly the problem is not with Airbnb messenger or any other app. If you get 3 stars frequently, the problem is with you. To be fast is good. But it is not enough. You must answer the question properly. Again... ask feedback to the guests.
Location - Do not worry. Location does not contribute to the host evaluation. However if they rate you location too low, the problem maybe the description of the location. Be as frank as possible. Describe precisely the location. Explain the distances using absolute values, in meters or kilometers or whatsoever is the measure. If you say it is close or far it depends on each guest´s sense of distance.

I suggest reading topics on how improving listing descriptions and other features.

You listing sounds good. I believe that, if you consider what I have said and what other hosts says in this community, you will do well.

You listing sounds good. I believe that, if you consider what I have said and what other hosts says in this community, you will do well.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@J-Renato0

It is not true that "go lower than 4.7, you are out."

- Yes, Airbnb tell us 4.7 is the target, but MANY hosts have a rating of below 4.7 and survive, some with hundreds of reviews. Especially in the U.S., I've noticed, where I wonder if guests rate more harshly than where I live? 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Helen350 

Thanks for the input .

I thought that the guest would receive a warning, then a suspension and eventually banned if he/she continues to go lower.

Some time ago I saw topics of host saying that they were giving a warning and they they could be banned as a next step.

The host in question in this topic received a warning and Airbnb mentioned the possibility of suspension for 5 days.

Maybe when there is not enough accommodation in some city/area, Airbnb has to be more tolerant.

Anyway, if a less 4.7 lilsting is competing in a saturated or very competitive market, the listing maybe is not literally out, but in practical terms I think the listing will be left behind in the search results. Few chances to get booked.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Yes @J-Renato0 , when a listing drops below 4.7 an automatic warning is triggered, and threat of delisting. I don't know HOW low your score would have to fall to be delisted, but it's not difficult to put any town or city into the search and find plenty of listings below that threshold. Search results have nothing to do with overall score. My listings frequently feature on the first page, above listings with better scores. And not all guests care about the score; some just book on price, or location, or other factors. There are places near me with less than 4.20, and I spotted a 3.63 from a VERY old school crash pad!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I see your point @Helen350 . But please let me add some things I think is worth considering.

If the guest set the range of price, the search results will show the listings based mainly on price.

Certainly the algo will present firstly the listings that has more chance to be booked and that Airbnb inferes that will not stain its brand.

It considers star rate, response rate of the host and many other factors. Price is one of the most important factors.
To some guests that are on a very tight budget, the most important thing is the price, certainly they show anything that are within the range of price.

Even if the guest do not set the price range and browse the listing, they can see more affordable options.

However, the fact is, the lower is the listing star rate, the more is the listing competing with the worst listings.

So, my advise to the host in question (in this topic) is to make an effort to better its listing rate to get out of the worst zone. 

If you  know someone that has a broken leg, what would you say to the this person? "You should take care to cure your broken leg" or you should say that "even if you do not take care, and have two broken legs You can continue walking slowly with both legs in plaster.? 🙂

@Sarah977  Maybe Airbnb wants to offer options to all range of guest´s budget. If you want, see my arguments above.

Sounds logical, but it's not true. There are listings in highly competitive markets which appear on the first page of search which have 3* ratings. Why? Because they are big earners for Airbnb-property managers with hundreds of listings. It's all about Airbnb's profit, not standards of quality. @J-Renato0

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Cz1   

• Yes, they could, but they won't

Why should airbnb improve their review-system? It works perfectly for them the way it is.

Cz1
Level 2
Malaysia

Hi All,

already solved my problem,

long discussion with the new user guest who do not know about the airbnb review system.

they already agree to withdraw the low rating. 

Sometime the guest we met are considerate and understanding, some are not friendly.

We believe it will happened all times at any places.

We really hope Airbnb always remind user how is the reviews gonna make.