Can I attach pictures or links to my reviews?

James471
Level 2
Mangaf, Kuwait

Can I attach pictures or links to my reviews?

I will be renting a unit this August and this will be my first foray into Airbnb. I am quite excited because the apartment that I am about to occupy has all the necessary facilities, especially the kitchen tools, and for a lot less money than hotels, which generally feel less homey.

One of the activities that I do when I'm in other places is that I review hotels. Sites such as Tripadvisor allow me to attach pictures that i've taken of the rooms and the areas, and in the same way, I wish that I would be able to do the same on Airbnb. But it seems that all of the reviews that I've read do not have photos in them so I assume that guests do not have the ability to attach photos.

I really would like to accompany my reviews with photos so that I would be able to help prospective customers in convincing or dissuading from renting an apartment. On the other hand, I also think that pictures could boost the reputation of the host if his or her apartment deserves better attention.

I have not done any reviews before. So my question is can we attach pictures to our reviews? If yes, how? If no, are there other ways to circumvent the restriction?

52 Replies 52

No, you cannot attach pictures to reviews at this time.  This is for the safety of hosts and their homes.  However, if you have a question about a host's location, they should be able to provide you with a picture of what you may or may not have issue if it is not already in the pictures offered in the listing decription.  

Jody53
Level 3
Heidelberg, Germany

@James471wrote:

I will be renting a unit this August and this will be my first foray into Airbnb. I am quite excited because the apartment that I am about to occupy has all the necessary facilities, especially the kitchen tools, and for a lot less money than hotels, which generally feel less homey.

One of the activities that I do when I'm in other places is that I review hotels. Sites such as Tripadvisor allow me to attach pictures that i've taken of the rooms and the areas, and in the same way, I wish that I would be able to do the same on Airbnb. But it seems that all of the reviews that I've read do not have photos in them so I assume that guests do not have the ability to attach photos.

I really would like to accompany my reviews with photos so that I would be able to help prospective customers in convincing or dissuading from renting an apartment. On the other hand, I also think that pictures could boost the reputation of the host if his or her apartment deserves better attention.

I have not done any reviews before. So my question is can we attach pictures to our reviews? If yes, how? If no, are there other ways to circumvent the restriction?

After you have stayed at a host's property, you are asked to provide a review, the you have the opportunity to rate the accuracy of the host's description of their property.

I think it would benefit Airbnb users, if pictures could be uploaded on to Airbnb during the review process, especially when the host has given inaccurate​ pictures of their property. Airbnb could make a request of the host, to acknowledge the validity of the pictures, or make repairs and then provide accurate pictures. If the host isn't cooperative, guest's pictures could substitute or replace the Airbnb host's original pictures by default.

I think this is an important issue, because, while there are very kind people offering properties on Airbnb, there are just as many, if not more huskers, deceivers and plain old slumlords. This is especially common in expensive cities like London for example, where the quality of rooms costing less than £50 are often little better than youth hostels. 

Let's be honest, most Airbnbs aren't people's homes anymore. Many of them have deteriorated into private hostels or slum hotels. At the moment that I write this letter, I'm staying in an Airbnb in central London​ and have occupied a room for four days. But, now the weekend has come, the basement flat is packed with people, there are now 10 people (in four small rooms) who are sharing One toilet and shower! Plus, the kitchen stove is broken, after four days, I decided to eat in, but was sadly disappointed.

The other 9 people and I, are paying £50 a night for this? This is dispicable profiteering, in San Francisco, where I am from, we call these sought of people: "Tenderloin slumlords".

Airbnb should monitor the quality of host's properties, and guarantee some level of customer satisfaction.

If not, then I hope there are entrepreneurs out there prepared to capitalise on Airbnb's shortsightedness or  failures.

Cheers

Manuel508
Level 2
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Jody,

you are so right ! It would make airbnb better if we could post photos!

Airbnb should be interested in promoting the good rooms and give less atention (and clients) to the bad ones....

completely agree - I just got back from staying at a listing that had misleading photos - the place ended up being not much like it was portrayed because most of the photos were "high" shots - as in they didnt take in the full length of any particular room so you couldnt see how dingy and dirty the walls really were. And the only picture of the bathroom was of the sink - not even showing the shower which clearly had some mildew and discoloration in it. I didnt even feel comfortable enough to shower in it because i discovered someone else's hairs in it and actually on the bedding as well.  More misdirection came concerning the kitchen - for whatever reason the stove was located right as u come in the entry door and not really in the kitchen at all - just very weird.  And the entry door is so old it does not even latch when u shut it - only really stayed closed once u put on the dead bolt and little sliding lock midway down the door. While I understand the host may not have control over the way the house is built they could be a little more forthcoming with the photos so people are a bit more aware of what they are paying for. I doubt I would stay there again in spite of how convenient it was as far as location

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jody53  How would airbnb ensure that the photos posted by a guest for public view were actually photos of the listing in question? Nor do hosts (good ones as well as bad) necessarily want whatever photo a guest might take to be public for security reasons (i.e. the front of the house- this could be used by thieves targetting airbnb rentals). What you are suggesting is fraught with problems. Presently as a guest, you have the option to review, and you can also send airbnb photos of unacceptable conditions. By badly reviewing a property you have rented that is awful, as well as giving low rating stars to the host, believe me, there are repercussions for the host.

That is a most short sided argument.  I should say one sided, on the side of the host. Please give guests a bit more credit.  Let's be logical here.  Ask why a person would post sinister photos?  We just want our valid complaints to be heard and warn other guests of issues. Or point out great things.  Amazingly stocked library perhaps.  AirBnB redacts phone numbers, so I see no reason why they can’t delete exterior photos, and include it in their policy.  Again, hosts opened the door when they decided to list.  Consumers should be entitled to as much information as we can and trade amongst each other.  Photos are real and help back up the review.  Showing the issue is what I want.   I think it’s interesting hosts are fearing this.  

Rich2427
Level 2
Manchester Township, NJ

I agree that the person renting an Airbnb should be able to post pictures of inaccuracies. Of course Airbnb can have guidelines to posting inappropriate or pictures showing the address of the Airbnb property. Also give the host the ability to challenge any pictures they feel are not legitimate pictures of their property before the review is posted for public viewing. Pictures say a thousand words and it’s time Airbnb changed it’s policy about attaching pictures to reviews. Which will ultimately benefit the entire Airbnb community.

You ask why a guest wd post sinister pictures? I think for the same reasons they write sinister reviews that are very inaccurate account of their stay.

I agree, pictures should be able to be shared. We just had the most awful guests in our home and all I can do is give them a bad review and nobody really knows if I’m just being a Karen. Some of us do still rent homes and it’s not a big business it’s our home and income for our family. I continue to see so many people complain about Airbnb when in reality many guess that we host treat it with such a disregard and leave everything truly dirty and disgusting.  I’m not sure how much longer I will keep it on Airbnb. 

I recently stayed in an Airbnb in Tampa, FL and had the unfortunate luck to stay in a place that has fraudulent photos of their pool and area.  It is not the pool on site, a huge disappointment when that is why I booked this place.  I'm all for being allowed to show my photos of what the place is really like.  There were at least 50 ducks on the property and the pools were littered with dozens and dozens of feces in the water, on the decks and everywhere on the property and has been for years.  I wrote a review but looks like it was deleted after about a day, leaving up all the false reviews.  Still trying to get money back!  His listing is nothing like it is.  So disappointed!

Many guests are afraid to get bad ratings as retaliation by the hosts themselves, and host will give a guest bad rating in response to their bad review or conflict even if the guest was right and guest himself was quiet and intelligent, the bad hosts (slumlords especially) will ruin the score of a guest for nothing.

That's why I think a honest review platform for guests without being afraid of hosts 'vengeance' is important. 

Laurent308
Level 3
Philadelphia, PA

I have to agree that today’s most Airbnb aren’t private homes anymore. They are business units often overpriced. Lot of hosts don’t take pride and just want to make a quick buck. In such case pictures will do justice. 

I'm in a situation like that right now. Posting photos and videos of what a place is actually like would go a long way for proving something because as is, hosts of places like these just deny what people say in their reviews and make it seem like the guest is lying. I wish in those cases you could reply with photos and videos to a host's reply of your review.

I agree.  It’s our precious time and money.  We deserve that extra information.  I would not have stayed at a recent place, if I had a more realistic view.  People are too polite in reviews.  Part of it could be due to being also reviewed.  The thought process maybe:  Hosts will see I’m critical, so I better be soft in my comments?  

Photos would really help to show the condition of the product.  It has to change.  Our vacations are too valuable to waste.