Can I cancel my Airbnb reservation and get a full refund?

Answered!
Olga-Aggeliki0
Level 2
Megara, Greece

Can I cancel my Airbnb reservation and get a full refund?

Hi! So I just completed a reservation with a host from Amsterdam from 1 June till 30 but the  host after accepted my reservation sent me an email that  tells me that he doesnt want to rent the house for the whole month and he didnt cancel the reservation. How can I have a free cancelation?
1 Best Answer
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Olga-Aggeliki0,

You rejected the offer so your reservation is still for 30 days. It isn't canceled so you must either request him to cancel, as described above, or contact Airbnb support to discuss the problem.

Steve.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Olga-Aggeliki0 ,

The host accepted your request, and now he fails to fulfill the confirmed agreement. So the host has to cancel and you will be refunded. So ask the host to cancel or sent him a request to cancel, if no succes contact Airbnb to explain and they can cancel it for you and maybe even assist in finding you another accomodation. Do NOT cancel yourself. BTW Some listings have the "free-to-cancel-within-48-hours" option, but if so, you must read the terms attached to it very carefully to be sure you will get a 100% refund.

Best regards, Emiel

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Olga-Aggeliki0,

The host accepted the reservation so he must cancel if he doesn't want to host you.

He may not want to do so as he'll be penalised by Airbnb for doing so.

Not knowing the host's cancelation policy or other circumstances of the reservation I can say that it's probable that you would not get back all of your money if you cancel.

Did you give your real email address to the host or did he contact you through the Airbnb email link? I hope he did as Airbnb will then be able to see his message saying that he doesn't want to host you.

You could try sending the host a request to cancel. If he accepts or ignores the request then he'll be deemed to have canceled and you'll receive a full refund.

To do this go to the reservation in "Trips" and click on "Change or cancel". Then click on "Next" in the "Cancel" section. Then click on the "Reason" box and select "My host needs to cancel". When asked "Did they say they can't host you anymore?" click on "yes" and proceed from there.

Be very careful to select the "My host needs to cancel" reason or you will be seen to have canceled.

If he declines the request then Contact Airbnb support to discuss the problem. There should be a contact link in the confirmation email you received.

You can also contact them as follows.

Type "contact airbnb" in the "Search the community" box on these forum pages where you posted your question. Scroll down a little in the list of suggestions that appears and click on the "Contact Airbnb: A Community Help Guide[UPDATED]" one. That lists phone numbers and ways to contact them via Twitter or Facebook.

Steve.

He send me that he wants to host me  but not  for the 30 days that I booked  but for 14 days and I reject the offer so I still must  to the above procedure or the cancelation will be automated?

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Olga-Aggeliki0,

You rejected the offer so your reservation is still for 30 days. It isn't canceled so you must either request him to cancel, as described above, or contact Airbnb support to discuss the problem.

Steve.