Can I get refunded if I'm uncomfortable with the host?

Arturo23
Level 1
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Can I get refunded if I'm uncomfortable with the host?

Long story short: Me and my girlfriend arrived to a place where the host was very nice for the first few days, then started with herratic behavior, blaming us for "messiness" to the point that no mattet how clean or orderly we were, he once scolded us pretty bad for not scrubbing a pot we used to boil water for tea! He even scolded us for past things, we also saw him scolding other guests but he seemed to develop a fixation for my girlfriend. Things were pretty bad and we thought about cancelling and getting a refund but we didn't know if we could.

In the end, he kicked us out for boiling an egg with one of the burners of the electric stove that was bigger than the smaller one because the smaller one was dirty. 

But things got almost out of control and he could have gotten violent and assaulted us.

Airbnb refunded the rest of our stay and has been supportative. I have used Airbnb about 10 times and this is the first time this happens, it is likely that this could happen again, so what should we do next time if we start feeling uncomfortable with the host?

3 Replies 3
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

If you ever feel uncomfortable or unsafe, always get to a safe spot and call Airbnb.  They will be the ones to help you find other accommodations and, if applicable, give you a refund.

Thank you, does this always apply? Because you know, different hosts have different cancellation policies, also when we called airbnb they helped us and gave us a refund for the days we had left but we also complained about the hosts' herratic/dangerous behavior and told them he should be banned because there were also irregularities with the listing and the place had been co-hosted in the past by other people who were the ones who received the positive reviews but the current host had a fight with them and they had fled, leaving the current host who is a psychopath and has little time doing the hosting.

To that, airbnb told us they couldn't do much since it was a he said/she said thing with no evidence....

There's little overarching policy on these types of situations, as they tend to differ.  I assume action would be taken on a case-by-case basis.  Thus why you would need to speak with Airbnb so they can come up with a solution to problem at the time.