Can I get some changes PLEASE!!!

Anna9908
Level 4
Morganton, GA

Can I get some changes PLEASE!!!

I have been hosting for a year now and I am going to be honest. There has been a lot of ups and downs.  I mainly use these forums to vent. 

My venting is about crappy guest, vague/missing Airbnb policies and poor support. Normally, I tell my side of the situation in detail and get a number of supportive responses. Thank you community!!

However, this time, to be honest, I am tired of complaining. I really want more action and changes from Airbnb. I would love for use just to use this conversation as an area where we can request changes. If you want to post, please do! I want to know what other hosts think should be changed! 

Here is my list:

#1 - The review policy - Honestly, Airbnb, if a host has a damage dispute against a guest. The guest should not be allowed to review them. These "retaliation" posts are not helpful to anyone, or add a "retaliation" clause to the current review policy. 

#2 - Rental Agreements - Many of us use them to protect ourselves when all else fails. Just make it a checkbox under house rules and allow us to upload it there! 

#3 - History of a Bad Guest, Protect the Host with a Refundable Deposit - If the guest has had a damage dispute in the past, just auto collect a refundable deposit from them. Deposits do deter some guests from booking because they pay so much in advance. Maybe, I do not want to apply it to every guest, but come on.... Airbnb knows if a guest has had a problem before, give us the option to make damage deposits required for people who have a bad history. We know you collect that data! Help us out. 

#4 - Pay Attention to Support - I feel like every time I have a call with a support representative I have to roll my eyes!! I have been called about guest reservations in a refundable cancel window and asked, "Can they cancel?". The answer is yes (hosts don't need to be asked). I have been told "You didn't disclose this information so you need to cancel that guest reservation"... "ummm - actually support, I did disclose it and you don't have to be mean nor accusatory - here is a screenshot, but if you want it cancelled, cancel it yourself and refund them".... I have heard, "Oh we can only resolve your $180 issue with $100".... First question - Why, you know what the price should be? Second question - Are we using a barter system now for disputes with a clear cost?

Anyways - those are my suggestions to Airbnb from the "Host" perspective. I am sure other hosts have really great ideas too!! I would love to hear them, because I feel like with every suggestion there is some hard lesson a host was given from Airbnb. 

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Anna9908 

Some items you mention are already well known and discussed here frequently

Maybe the Host Advisory Board will add them to their to-do-list !?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 Do you really believe the HAB have a to-do-list? Based on the silence with respect to their achievements and the lack even of a process for other hosts to make suggestions to them I suspect they don't!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Mike-And-Jane0 

I hope they at least read what is brought on the table up in this community.... 😊

@Anna9908  Agree #1.  Airbnb should allow hosts to submit a damage claim immediately and before the next guest check-in as required, but airbnb should HOLD the claim internally and not forward to the guest, until the guest posts their review or their review time expires.  This way, the guest won't know about the damage claim and has no reason to retaliate.  Seems like a simple thing to code and manage.  I don't see a downside.