Can I rescind a review?

King149
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Can I rescind a review?

I've had a host leave a bad review stating I left their apartment "very dirty and with dog hair everywhere". This was totally false and I even asked for evidence which neither Airbnb or the host provide. This is also the first bad review I've had in 27, with the majority of those 27 saying something positive about the state of cleanliness I left the Airbnbs in. I'm really worried that this is going to affect me being able to stay at good Airbnbs in the future with my dog. I did have quite alot of issues with the host during my stay, from an extra fee extortion attempt during check-in to appliances not working during the stay therefore I'm not sure if the host left me a bad review anticipating I would do the same. I left an OK review as the apartment was rated 3.5 before I stayed and I felt bad about adding all the issues to this as I didn't want to be responsible for a host not being able to rent their property. However with the bad review they gave me I would like to rescind my review of the host that I thought was extremely generous. Is there a way I can do this?

4 Replies 4
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@King149 

It is my understanding that you can have your review removed but you cannot edit it or replace it.

You can also ask that the host’s review be removed from your account but that seldom happens.

If this property’s rating was 3.5 I am surprised that it is still listed. It probably won’t be for long.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@King149  I see posts like this from hosts, too. Wanting to rescind a nice review they left for a guest, because the guest left an unflattering review.

You know what I tell them? That it seems extremely childish to do so. If you have left an honest review, you should never have reason to regret it. Reviews are intended to be an honest reflection of one's experience, not tit for tat, you leave me a nice review and I'll leave you one.

I read both your review of the host and the host's review of you. Considering that you have lots of great reviews as a guest, hosts aren't going to give much weight to that one 5 word review, anymore than guests would take a review saying the place was filthy, when the host has pages of reviews saying it was immaculate, to heart. Neither hosts nor guests are so gullible as to believe every review they read, especially when it's an obvious outlier.

Your review of the host was extremely brief, and only says there was lots of light, with good beach access. I assume those things were true, so rescinding your review would simply be for revenge and isn't going to change or remove the review he left for you, which is your concern. And rescinding a review does not give you the opportunity to rewrite it.

Obviously a place that allows dogs should be accepting of the fact that there will be dog hair to clean up (altho you could be a responsible dog owner and try to clean up as much of it as possible- if there isn't a vacuum cleaner provided, you could ask for one. And either bringing along some dog blankets or asking for some old sheets or towels, so the dog doesn't leave hair on the furniture would be nice)

What I would do if I were you is to just leave a response to the review, if you feel it is not an honest review. All you have to say is

"This was a pets allowed listing, so of course the host should expect that there may be dog hair to clean up. We did not leave the apartment dirty. There were actually several issues with this listing and the host, so it's possible that he anticipated a bad review from me (didn't happen) and so chose to leave me a bad review.

Please refer to my other reviews for an accurate account of my behavior as a guest."

That will do you far more good than rescinding a one liner review you left for the host, which will not benefit you in any way. It's not like you went on effusively about what a great host he was or how fantastic the accommodation was. His low ratings and guest complaints will catch up with him.

It was considerate of you to not want to tank this host's business by mentioning the isssues, but in the future you should be honest. If the host attempted to extort you, appliances didn't work, etc. you should mention those things to warn future guests. A host who doesn't maintain his property or tries to extort guests shouldn't be in business anyway- it gives a bad name to Airbnb and therefore affects all hosts. 

And you should always be fair and mention the pros along with the cons. A review doesn't have to be either "good" or "bad". 

There are things that you may want to mention to a host in private feedback rather than the public review. I had a lovely Airbnb guest, who, like you, uses Airbnb a lot, give me a 5* review,  but she sent me private feedback saying there was a lot of cat hair on the outdoor cushions. I was very grateful she had kept that comment private, as if it was public, guests might think my place was covered in cat hair. In reality, it wasn't even my cat, but a stray who likes to sleep there and I hadn't even noticed the cat hair. I thanked her for bringing it to.my attention, and I always make sure to vacuum those cushions now.

But if a place is poorly maintained, or dirty, or the host is objectionable in dealings with guests, that should be noted in the public review.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@King149  P.S. This host seems to have no idea what he's doing. He has no listing description of the space, no house rules except check-in, check-out times, and he screwed up his first booking, according to the guest's review. He  has low check-in and cleanliness ratings and he hasn't bothered himself to leave reviews for any of his past guests except for you. So he doesn't review unless he has something nasty to say.

I would stay  away from listings like this in the future. 

@King149  If you think removing your review would somehow benefit you, I think you've made a huge miscalculation about how hosts think. It's true that a future host might look askance at the one brief comment that B**** made about the dog hair. But they'll also see that this one is an outlier out of the many positive reviews you've gotten. So if they're in doubt, they'll click onward to the host's profile to see what kind of review you left him. If you have your review removed, they'll see nothing, and conclude that you're a lousy guest. But if the positive review you wrote is still intact, you'll come across as the more gracious party and get the benefit of the doubt. Pet-friendly hosts would overlook the dog hair issue if they felt confident that you'd give them a positive review. But review-sensitive hosts will not overlook B****'s review of you, if there isn't a reciprocal review from you on his profile to put things into perspective.

It's plain to see that you're feeling some urge to retaliate here, which is understandable considering that this amateur host has made your trip a lot more difficult than necessary. But then again, I see nothing in the listing saying it's pet-friendly or offering any substantive descriptions at all. Out of all the listings available in the region, you chose this one with no useful information and very few reviews. It wasn't surprising to learn this, because the overwhelming majority of complaints posted here by guests referred to new and incomplete listings like this one. If you can admit to yourself that you're not a super-intrepid traveler who can be totally happy in any circumstances, it really is worth putting that extra time into comparison shopping and checking the texts and reviews before you whip out your credit card. Anyone here could have told you that this stay was unlikely to work out well within seconds of seeing how poorly this host put together his useless listing; hopefully after this one bad experience, you'll put more effort into your next search and not just grab the cheapest beach house imaginable.