Can I set a minimum age requirement?

Answered!
Susan42
Level 2
Corvallis, OR

Can I set a minimum age requirement?

Before joining airbnb, I set my minimum age requirement for renting my vacation home at 25 (similar to car rental companies).   Can I do that with my listing and if so, would I stipulate it under house rules?

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

You can learn more about the minimum age requirements for a guest by reviewing this Airbnb Help Center article: Age requirements.

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

48 Replies 48
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

HI @Susan42,

Unfortunatly there's no settings to limit the age of our guests... There is a option where they need to verify their identity before booking your place... You can put on your description that you will not rent to guests under 25, but I think that will create some troubles for you ID'ing your guests and eventually enforcing the rule..

Personally I have more troubles with 25-35 (males and females) group going to convetions than we have with 18-25 group... Every market is different... I wouldn't expect the same if it was a beach front house.... 

Luis

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

It's your house. You can set whatever rules you want.

no you can't airbnb has strict no discrimination policy for age / race etc

Incorrect. That only applies for employment and only protects people of the age of 40.

Over 40 meant 

So car rentals can set a minimum age of 25 but Airbnb can’t?

So is ok for car rental companies to discriminate….

Hi Hugh,

@Ed-and-Hugh0 I thought the same thing until I had an instant book today with a girl who turned 18 today. My house rules/ policies state:

Booking party must be age 25+, and must be present at the home for the duration of the stay.
No one under the age of 21 will be permitted on the property without their parent or legal guardian unless previously agreed upon in writing.
Violation is grounds for removal from property without refund. 

I have these rules because my home is in a Lake / Party town. The only way I knew was because the girl's picture looked like a child so I called airbnb and they verified her birthday and cancelled for me since my polices were listed.  I had always thought since I had the rules listed, AirBnb checked. Now I'm worried. 

Joseph0
Level 5
San Francisco, CA

Some Hosts have great sucess with saying in the listing description that the welcome well seasoned guest over the age of 25 .

If you set your guest expectations upfront you are better off . Some Hosts also prefer to have more mature guests , especially hosts that are seniors themselves . It all depends on your comfort level in your own home . I have had some very well travelled 21 yo stay with me and had a great stay from them and I have also had Seniors stay that have been like babies . Do what you are most comfortable with , as it is your home and don't worry about how anyone else will feel , we as hosts are not Hotels and we offer a special experience . I might also add that some hosts will not accept guests that have not been reviewed yet . but you do have to start someplace with guests and I feel that they are piggybacking on others hosts hard work  

Michelle0
Level 6
New York, NY

I've personally hosted well over 300 guests, and managed other's rentals for even more(via Cityami) . How well a guest behaves has absolutely nothing to do with age and everything to do with life experience. A good guest has stayed in other's homes before, whether with their parents or as adults, or simply had a good upbringing. A poor guest treats your home like their personal locker room. Age can't predict this. If you want to avoid bad guests, ask why they're using airbnb - where they've traveled. Look for prior reviews as well. Most important - ask why they are visiting the area. Just make sure the reason for their stay fits with the space you are offering and you will be fine!

Nicely stated Michelle. 

To simplfy it for some it may be helpful to know your and follow city ordinances when setting up your short term rental property. In my city, there is a minimum age established under the their transient occupancy ordinance (Vacation Rental Regulations) which prohibits the responsible party of the vacation rental to be under the age of 25. 

Our city agressivly checks various advertising vehicles for vacation rental properties in the area for compliance with city ordinances including Vacation Rental Permits, age, and TOT compliance (trans occupancy tax). 

@Michelle0

If you were to have persons under 21, would you have them sign an Alcohol Waiver and Acceptance of Responsibility?

I am extremely nervous if an 18-20 year old is drinking at my home.

Jennifer

Thats a very good question. I know that the minimun age is 21 in MIA. I wonder what the legal team at airbnb will say...

I'm curious what's the best practice now that Airbnb is rolling out the Discrimination policy. Does anyone know?

Can you state a minium age requirement?