Can I short term host my flat throughout the year in Chelsea, London?

Sam4505
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Can I short term host my flat throughout the year in Chelsea, London?

I don’t understand the 90 day rule please. Can I host my flat (I’m never in london except for one or two weeks a year now) 

Can I host my flat short term throughout the year? Or am I only allowed to host 90 days per year with Airbnb? I’d like for a management service to take care of the flat and for people to stay in my home short term throughout the year- do I need an exemption for this? 

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sam4505 The rule is very simple. 90 days total of short term renting per year. What's not to understand?

What do you mean “what’s not to understand’- that is what I don’t understand genius man. 90 days to host guests short term from Airbnb and the rest of the year it has to be done through another agency? Airbnb only allows short term hosting for 90 days of a year in london? It sounds odd to limit the number of short term hosting in your home that’s vacant, but needed by me from time to time. Hence, the need to SHORT TERM HOST throughout the year. It’s not a normal rule to understand without double checking for clarity 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>90 days total of short term renting per year<<

That'll be any short-term 
rentals, be them through Airbnb, the one that sounds like hooking,  VRBO, or any other.

You can't switch to another outfit and legally offer STRs though them.

Exemptions are gained via change of use planning permission, @Sam4505, otherwise known as hen's teeth, especially with K&C at the helm. 

Sam4505
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Gordon. Thank you. That was super helpful. The rule is outrageous in my opinion and I hear it’s nearly impossible to get an exemption but again. Thank you 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The rule is not outrageous it was introduced because of the impact of whole STRs on the London housing market @Sam4505 

Did you read the GLA report ? 

Anyway nothing to stop you doing STR for 90 days and long term rentals for the rest of the year. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sam4505 The rule is not quite so outrageous if you are a resident of London unable to afford the rent on a property because the market has been distorted by all the properties let out to tourists on a short term basis.