Can a guest check out on a blocked date?

Elizabeth1358
Level 2
Alexandria, VA

Can a guest check out on a blocked date?

When a host selects to block the day before and the day after a reservation can a guest book to check out on the blocked date? For example, if a guest is checking in on a Saturday then Friday is blocked.  If an earlier guest wants to reserve for a check in on Wednesday and check out on Friday, can they?  In other words does the block only prevent a guest from staying that night but still allows the current guest to check out on the blocked date?

7 Replies 7
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Yes, @Elizabeth1358 , you have it right. Dates are blocked only for check-in. 

Thanks.  It it confusing when a guest looks at availability because it looks like they cannot check out on that date. 

Qier-and-Philippe0
Level 10
Lille, France

@Elizabeth1358 

If you select to block the day before and the day after a reservation, Airbnb just block one day between two reservations.

good to know @Qier-and-Philippe0  I thought it blocks 2 days in between

Odette76
Level 1
Casselberry, FL

Good morning, We had that issue. I blocked an entire week (from Monday to Tuesday) and a guest was able to check out on Monday. We were so confuse because it is blocked and clearly says that "Guests can't book or find your place in search results for this date." Airbnb customer service couldn't give us an answer and they said that it was glish in their calendar. We spoke with 6 different customer service people and none of them had an answer. Airbnb is the worst system I ever seen. They do not trained their personnel correctly. They have no clue of what they are doing. 

@Odette76 This is a common mistake for people who are new to the accommodation industry and I am not sure why Airbnb Customer Service could not have clarified this for you. You are booking NIGHTS not days. So when you block a Monday that means that a guest cannot book your place on Monday NIGHT. But that does not mean that a check out on Monday cannot happen (because the guest is not staying on Monday, they are staying Sunday NIGHT.)

We didn't know that and customer service couldn't answered our questions. The guest tried to cancelled because we told her that Monday was blocked. Now, she cannot cancel because customer service did something in their end. I cannot cancel because I will be penalizes. Potentially, we will lose money because they haven't answer our questions and they keep telling us that someone will contact us with an answer. Still, not answers.