Can a guest repeatedly request a refund after I have already declined it?

Susan3667
Level 2
Faro District, Portugal

Can a guest repeatedly request a refund after I have already declined it?

Hi, all,

I'm new to hosting this year and, like many, lost all my initial bookings due to Covid.

One of my bookings, however, cancelled his booking a few weeks ago for July and is not covered by the extenuating circumstances.

I have a strict cancellation policy and he requested a refund from me. He only paid 50% as a first instalment and airbnb have explained to him that by not taking the second instalment that was his 50% refund due under the cancelation policy.

I declined his refund from me when he cancelled for the other 50% as I just can't afford to lose it, but as he said he hoped to re-book with us next year I offered him the same amount as a credit towards his next booking with us. He seemed happy with that. However, he has now sent another refund request.

After already declining, how is a guest allowed to repeatedly request a refund? I already feel bad, but I have my own very difficult circumstances and I think I have tried to be as fair as possible.

How has anyone else dealt with a similar situation?

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It is annoying when a guest won't take no for an answer @Susan3667 , just provide him with your initial response and confirm you can offer him a credit against a future stay but not a refund.

You are being fair. The guest is being unreasonable.