Can a host request a refund if a guest broke a laptop charger?

Neal5
Level 1
Arizona, United States

Can a host request a refund if a guest broke a laptop charger?

I am a fairly new host and I had three guests a couple days ago.  Everything seemed fined while they were here, they had something come up at their city and left a night early.  The first night the man who actually made the reservation mistoke my laptop charger for his and tried plugging it into his laptop.  After seeing the trouble it occured to me that my laptop charger was also close to where he was sitting so I went over to check.  His wife and him also started to think it was the wrong charger and we saw that it was mine as he found his near by.  I didn't need to charge my laptop again until today, when I tried to plug it in it immediately didn't work so I looked at it and the inside rod is completely bent.  How could I make an inquiry about financing a new cord to him? Also I already left the review for him.

4 Replies 4
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Breakage is just part of doing business. I would just get it fixed (sounds like an easy fix). 

Ash-and-Dasha0
Level 10
Redwood City, CA

If it's no more than 48 hours since their checkout time, you can make a claim against the secutiry deposit. Use airbnb resolution center:  https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions, it'll automatically offer the reservations which you had, pick the right one and follow the self-guided steps. 

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

He probably didn't realize it broke, so this incident should not have generated a poor review from you anyway.  How much do they cost?  Might be really cheap on Ebay or craigslist.

You could message him through the resolution center and ask for $15 or whatever they cost.

I personally would not bother a nice guest about an unintentional breakage such as that.

Amy77
Level 2
Portland, OR

In my opinion this is the cost of doing business. Unless there is malice or just complete irresponsibility, I wouldn't charge for breaking an item. The best advice I can give is that you should just plan on replacing dishes often and replacing linens and other items on a quarterly basis due to mishaps, and normal wear and tear 😊