Can a reservation one month ago be cancelled and guest get a full refund, after their 3 night stay?

Grace264
Level 4
Vancouver, Canada

Can a reservation one month ago be cancelled and guest get a full refund, after their 3 night stay?

Hi, Grace and Emma,
We monitor all reservations and user interactions on Airbnb very closely. We’ve noticed this reservation HMAANXEJWS doesn’t appear to be legitimate. As a result we have cancelled the reservation and refunded the payment. If you feel this was done in error, please let us know. Otherwise we hope you understand that we do this to preserve the integrity of our marketplace.
Regards,
The Airbnb Team

I think I really need to vent my feelings. Received this email today from Airbnb (June 1,2019).
Guests booked April 29 and checked out May 2, she booked for 4adults but actually it was 3 adults plus 2 kids ( about 2-3 yrs.old and about 1 yr old.) We do have security cameras outside our property, so we saw it. I was very disappointed when they checked out because they totally trashed our home, ended up throwing the sheets, because of BM left on it.
Then today, I received this email. I don’t know and I don’t get it. Is this possible?
Called Airbnb twice, asking why guests gets a full refund after their 3 nights stay in our home a month ago and as a host we got nothing? They said they will still investigate.
I am pretty new with Airbnb, just hosting for more than a year and would really appreciate your time and help.

12 Replies 12
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Grace264 

Perhaps it was booked using a stolen card or some type of unauthorised payment.

What airbnb has told you is thoroughly vague - to the point of being disingenuous.

Ask for full explanation and reassessment, but prepare to speak to your local press.

Grace264
Level 4
Vancouver, Canada

Thanks so much Elena for your time I really appreciate it.

You are absolutely right, not clear at all and it doesn’t make sense.

I will call them back again today.

Take care!

Regards,

Grace

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Grace264 

OMG ! Unbelievable... keep us posted I am curious to hear if you will get a refund from Airbnb. Please be persistent and demand your money.

Exactly, unbelievable! Isn't this what airbnb gets paid to do? We trust them to verify card payments in the least. I would demand they pay for the stay if it was a dodgy card. If they start taking money due to us after a stay, what will be next? There has to be some mistake, please let us know what they say to you. Good luck!

Thanks so much Rosemarie,

Yes you are absolutely right! Isn’t this is really their job to verify on our behalf. 

I will call them again today, and will keep you guys posted.

Take care and have a great day!

Regards,

Grace

Thanks Branka & Silvia,

I will, what really really disappoint me is they left our home with horrible mess. I don’t hire cleaning crew, I do the cleaning myself after my work and so far for almost one year of cleaning our home, they were the worst. With that being said and done, they end up getting a free accommodation. Disappointing.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

Grace

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Grace264 This is appalling.  Do you mean that Airbnb have refunded the guests that trashed your house - ie they will deduct the money from your next payment?  I had a look at your reviews which are wonderful and I don't think I saw one that this guest might have left but did you leave one for them saying how awful they were and how they had mistreated your property?  And Airbnb are doing this to "preserve the integrity of our marketplace"  are they? What total cr*p.  

Hi Rachel,

Yes Airbnb refunded them already or if they used stolen credit card, they have to reimburse the true owner of the credit card, also on our side, yes they already took it from our payout.

When they left our home, garbages where everywhere. Really nasty, We have to throw the whole set of sheets because of poop left on it. Also I think she had her period,( please excuse me. I’m So Sorry to say this in here) she left dripping blood in the bathroom and because they have two kids that were playing in the bathroom tub, the water overflow. They even used our vacuum to vacuum the water, which really doesn’t make sense! We end up bleaching the whole bathroom.

I am kinda angry while talking to Airbnb resolutions person last night, demanding explanation for this situation. But both person said we will Investigate..😩

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Grace

9D5D9BBC-BFC5-4CFE-B9AE-0963CB77A43B.jpeg

I am wondering how Airbnb can cancel a reservation that was completed a month ago.

Makes no sense unless it messed up in verifying the  payment details and it is a fraudulent credit card -  but a month after the fact that is insane!   I have read posts where this has happened with same day bookings and the host is told the credit card is fraudulent after the guest has completed the reservation  and the host does not get paid.

Hi Ange,

Yes totally doesn’t make sense!Totally insane. I am really confused.

It was already taken from our payout.😒

Grace264
Level 4
Vancouver, Canada

Hey guys,

Hoping everyone is all well.

Just an update, after a series of calls (5x) to Airbnb they finally said that this was really strange and somewhat a safety issue, so they will deposit back our payout for this reservation  Also it was processed today and obviously will be in the account after a week.

Thanks for the help!

Take care you all and have a great evening.😀😀

Cheers,

Grace