Can guests sue hosts for injuries?

Angela46
Level 2
Redondo Beach, CA

Can guests sue hosts for injuries?

Hello, I have a host friend who's guest was severly injured on their property. Would their guest sue or file a claim with Air BB? Or does the host and guest have to work it out with their homeowner's insurance and what if they don't have home owner insurance?

23 Replies 23

I just had a bedbug problem and am wondering if this is a waiver that the guests agree to when they sign up? I'm concerned that they could come after me with a lawsuit

Such a waiver does not exist.

David

Hi Letti!

At what point do you have the renters sign the waiver of liability? Do you email it to them when the make their reservation?

Do your guests have to sign that to be effective? Or can it be an agreement online? How will it stand up in court?

I have been a host for years. I have been a guest. I have been injured as a guest. The problem is a piece of paper is fine so long as the host is going to ensure the safety of the guests. I can't speak for you, but I did and thankfully I never had an incident with an injured guest.

Several weeks back, my host did not, and I became an injured guest. Ethics are involved here. Lawyer can offer a blurb, but what's going on in your home... and your heart? Are you gonna strut around with a piece of paper while someone's world is turned upside down? 

If the answer is "yes" then you are like the company that made you have to go to your lawyer to make sure people are taken care of.

Gail195
Level 2
Crossgar, United Kingdom

Has anyone any experience of dealing with Airbnb Corporate Claims (UK) ?

Vernon15
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

I have a disclaimer in my listing, but sometimes I do wonder if it scares potential new guests away...?

I'm now thinking that perhaps a better idea is for my disclaimer to appear to only confirmed guests, and then they have 48 hours to think about it, and perhaps cancel if they don't like my disclaimer.

Robin510
Level 1
United States

1. I just had a guest report a claim to air bnb and their center is stating that the insurance will cover.  She apparently slipped on some ice outside after a small wintery mix snow storm hit our house.  The thing I am wondering is she was not up until after my workout at 6:15 and left the house while I was dressing at 6:20.  When I left the house at 6:35 she was gone with no sound from her falling?
  2. I do not know if she actually fell or not as she never said anything to me?  Also, will air bnb cover this as they said they would she has a bruised tail bone?
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am suprised Airbnb admitted liability to you over the phone and said their insurance would cover your guest's claim without investigating it @Robin510 

If you have a look on Airbnb Help Centre it tells you about how their liability insurance works.  Have a read through and see what you or the guest needs to do to lodge a claim.

Airbnb will then get a loss adjuster or similar to look into the case. They will then either accept or decline liability for your guest.

Also as a general pointer. If you want advice it's normally better to start a new post, rather than tagging your query onto an old post as it will make it easier for people to see your query and therefore respond to it.