Can i get an opinion on this please

Pablo1234
Level 1
Madrid, Spain

Can i get an opinion on this please

Hi, I rented an airbnb for one month, which is one room for two guests in a shared flat.

I rented it for me, and my girlfriend that lives 10 minutes from here comes to stay with me some nights.

The host said that i didn't rent the place for two people, and that he wouldn't have accepted a long-term reservation in that case.

But it wasn't previously especified that I couldn't bring anybody. And she's not living in the flat, but just coming over some nights.

Can i ask for the money back? I moved to Poland to be with my girl and now I can't sleep with her, so it doesn't make any sense for me to live in this house.

3 Replies 3
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

In a shared flat, the highest priority is showing mutual respect. As we are also hosts of a private room in a shared flat, we expect that all guests are registered (Airbnb rule) and all visits need a prior permission (our house rules).

Personally I fully understand if a host who is living in the same apartment with the guest needs to know about all persons who enter his place, or even stay overnight. And I would feel very uncomfortable, if a booked guest all of a sudden wants to bring any unregistered persons to my place without prior agreement – our place even has three beds. Also cause of Covid contact prevention.

I’m afraid, that’s totally your host’s decision. If you feel uncomfortable with it, the last option is that you cancel.

What do your host’s house rules state? Did you communicate the additional person prior to your booking?

@Pablo1234  How many people the room could hypothetically accommodate two people is completely irrelevant here.  What matters is how many guests you registered in your original booking. If you reserved as a party of 1, your host accepted you and only you as his guest. That agreement does not extend to any additional people you might want to bring into the flat for any length of time, as a casual visitor or overnight guest. It's entirely at the host's discretion whether he chooses to allow any people he didn't personally approve into his own home, and it would be incredibly disrespectful and presumptuous to simply bring another person into his residence without his explicit permission. 

In other words, it's not the host's duty to tell you you can't bring other people into his own flat - it's your responsibility to ask.

If your original intention for this rental was to share it for any portion of the time with your girlfriend, you should have either booked and paid as a party of two, or asked about overnight visitors in your original request. If you failed to do that, then there's no reason Airbnb would grant you any kind of refund, because the host has done absolutely nothing wrong. However, if you submit a booking change request and ask to shorten your stay, you might be able to reach an agreement with the host for a partial refund of your unused nights. Once again, that's entirely at the host's discretion - there's no reason he should be losing out on income just because you wanted to sleep with your girlfriend.

Pablo1234
Level 1
Madrid, Spain

Thanks for your opinion guys, everything it's clear now.

Regards,